1. e4
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 12:08
    by Stephen Gerzadowicz.

Has anyone in the UK got a copy of this book.

I already have Journal of a Chess Original and now want Journal of a Chess Master
    - wiill offer excellent swap deal. for this book.
  2. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 15:582 edits
    I haven't even heard of this book before. However, there are a few copies on amazon.co.uk starting from about 17 GBP going up to 50+ GBP.
    I have about half a dozen books, but haven't finished any of them. Too lazy to read. I like some instructional youtube vids 🙂
  3. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 16:021 edit
    By the way, greenpawn34, do you make youtube vids or something like that?
  4. e4
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 17:26
    I see it on a few sites, but no picture.
    I just know if I try and buy one I'll end with the wrong book.

The standard of Chess I've seen on utube is very disapointing.

Have plans to do a chess DVD to rip the crap out of all previous DVD's.

Watched a few chess DVD's the other day, we had to bite the carpet to stop us laughing.

It's all very sad really. People are actually paying good money for this crud.
  5. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 17:40
    you can find and download some nice chess lectures on the internet, youtube is just not the place to look for them (if you want something good)... even though kingscrusher's chanel isn't all that bad...
  6. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 17:40
    Originally posted by orion25
    you can find and download some nice chess lectures on the internet, youtube is just not the place to look for them (if you want something good)... even though kingscrusher's chanel isn't all that bad...
    I havent's heard of kingscrusher's chanel. I like Greencastle's vids. I'll have a look at kingscrusher's vids as well. Any other suggestions on youtube?
  7. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 17:42
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Watched a few chess DVD's the other day, we had to bite the carpet to stop us laughing.

1) Could you, please, rate chesslecture.com? I;ve been a subscriber for several months. It is definitely better than what Youtubers can provide. But still, what is your opinion on it, given that it is expensive?
    2) When do you think you'll have your DVD ready?
    3) What kind of topics do you think it will cover?
    Good luck with the DVD!
  8. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 17:49
    Originally posted by Guych
    I havent's heard of kingscrusher's chanel. I like Greencastle's vids. I'll have a look at kingscrusher's vids as well. Any other suggestions on youtube?
    unfortunately I haven't found anything else worthwile around there...
  9. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 18:171 edit
    I had to unsubscribe from Kingscrusher's channel. Some of his earlier stuff is interesting but he has a habit of uploading hundreds of his 5m blitz games. I'd rather play my own!

jrobichess has done some good stuff. He's done a series of 10 minute introductions for various openings. His one on the Danish gambit is particularly good as a quick overview of the ideas.

Agree with other posters though that the majority of stuff is jaw droppingly bad. I watched a bit of one where a piece would move and an incredibly boring German voice would say "e4" or whatever. Three second pause, another move and another statement. I kept thinking ok, just stating the opening and then the analysis... No such luck! And because I'd been hypnotised I was stuck watching it for five minutes. FIVE MINUTES chaps!

There's a video that actually lists many of the channels. Most of them rubbish. I'll see if I can find it for you.

EDIT: Here's the link:

YouTube
  10. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 21:33
    Originally posted by orion25
    Where would you recommend to look for nice lectures?
  11. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    19 Jun '09 21:441 edit
    Where would you recommend to look for nice lectures?
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4221052685/m/3801095046

you can find hundreds here for example, I haven't got through most of them but it generally very good quality... at least for my level of play

I didn't look at kingscrusher's channel for a long while so I haven't been bothered by his blitz games, the rest is pretty decent I think. i like jrobich either but he has few videos, worth a look though
  12. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 05:01
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

I have to agree that there are very few good chess vidoes on utube. There are a few however, geared toward the 1500 player or so, that I find quite good. However, the best place to find chess videos for all levels is and always will be ICC. Its the best $30 you will ever spend on chess...
  13. e4
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 06:14
    1) Could you, please, rate chesslecture.com? I;ve been a subscriber for several months. It is definitely better than what Youtubers can provide. But still, what is your opinion on it, given that it is expensive?
    2) When do you think you'll have your DVD ready?
    3) What kind of topics do you think it will cover?
    Good luck with the DVD!
    The DVD idea has been kicking around for about a year now.
    It will be a Chandler Cornered on DVD so it will be full of
    nonsense, visual gags, spoof games, interviews of famous chess
    players, (Alekhine & Capablabca etc) and mimicking other DVD's.

Me and others are strongly of the opinion that you cannot learn
    much about the game by sitting on your sofa watching the telly.

It's a bit like reading a book on how to swim - it's best to learn
    whilst you are IN the water.

It caters for the lazy player who think by simply watching a DVD
    they will become a better player. Everyone is looking for a quick fix.
    There is none.

The tried and trusted book & board method is best.
    You play the game by sitting and looking at a full sized set.
    So why not study the game by sitting and looking at a full sized set.
    Makes sense to me.

Has ANYBODY got a copy of Journal of a Chess Master
  14. over your head
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 16:34
    Greenpawn, you've been namechecked on the chessbase website, time to put on those sunglasses again

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5522

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree