1. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    19 May '06 20:591 edit
    If the objective of the game of chess is to achieve checkmate... then how is it that a perfectly played game will result in a draw? Isn't that a bit ironic?... or am I just confused?

EDIT: DRAW!!
  2. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    19 May '06 21:011 edit
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    If the objective of the game of chess is to achieve checkmate... then how is it that a perfectly played game will result in a stalemate? Isn't that a bit ironic?... or am I just confused?
    First thing you need to know is that you mean to say "draw" instead of "stalemate." A stalemate is just one of the many ways of reaching a draw.

Second, no, I don't find that ironic. Each player's goal is to reach checkmate. But since they are conflicting goals, it is stands to reason that if each player plays the best moves, they will cancel out and result in a draw.
  3. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    19 May '06 21:02
    If patience is a virtue then aren't defensive openings better then offensive ones as they are more virtuous?

lmao, ok, I am just on crack.
  4. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 May '06 21:03
    If the objective of the game of chess is to achieve checkmate... then how is it that a perfectly played game will result in a stalemate? Isn't that a bit ironic?... or am I just confused?
    How do you know a perfectly played game will end in a stalemate.......

It might end in a win, lose, draw....repetition etc......why must the perfectly played game end in a stalemate.....that also suggests (but not totally) one side has more material than the other.
  5. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    19 May '06 21:04
    Originally posted by ark13
    First thing you need to know is that you mean to say "draw" instead of "stalemate." A stalemate is just one of the many ways of reaching a draw.

Second, no, I don't find that ironic. Each player's goal is to reach checkmate. But since they are conflicting goals, it is stands to reason that if each player plays the best moves, they will cancel out and result in a draw.
    lol ok, you win.

and yes, I meant draw... thanks.
  6. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    19 May '06 21:05
    If patience is a virtue then aren't defensive openings better then offensive ones as they are more virtuous?

lmao, ok, I am just on crack.
    Well, not all platitudes about life apply to the chess world, or even to every situation in life. It's a matter of style more than anything else. When people say that patience is a virtue, they mean that more people should be patient as the average person lacks the right amount of patience. However, there is such a thing as too much patience. Finding the right balance of patience in life, as well as in chess, is important.

It's possible, but I think you probably would've known that before...
  7. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    19 May '06 21:08
    Originally posted by ark13
    Well, not all platitudes about life apply to the chess world, or even to every situation in life. It's a matter of style more than anything else. When people say that patience is a virtue, they mean that more people should be patient as the average person lacks the right amount of patience. However, there is such a thing as too much patience. Finding the r ...[text shortened]... chess, is important.

It's possible, but I think you probably would've known that before...
    You are very wise Ark13... thanks for the comment 🙂
  8. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 May '06 01:06
    A perfectly played game may not always end in a draw; keep in mind, white has the first move and thus an advantage black doesn't have.
  9. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 May '06 03:50
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    A perfectly played game may not always end in a draw; keep in mind, white has the first move and thus an advantage black doesn't have.
    But maybe white is in zugzwang right from the first move!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree