1. Joined
    12 Jun '07
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:58
    I am just about to join a 'real life' chess club and play OTB for the first time in over two decades (and I'm 'only' 34 now) and have no idea about how this will work in practice (i.e. keeping game records as playing - noting systems etc) and mostly the etiquette.

I am a 'Hacker and Sacker' to steal a term from GreenPawn in an earlier thread, and as such I am hoping that OTB and the 'enforced' concentration will help my game on here, hopefully with regards to error checking.

Is it allowed, at a formal OTB, to take paper and pencil and keep a record of thoughts, moves and ideas as you play the games (time allowing)? Or do any notes need to be made at the end of a game? Do both players need to keep a record of the moves in the game, or is that done by an umpire or referee? Which noting system would be used (it is a UK based club - if that changes any of the answers)?

I just don't want to turn up and look a total amateur - though that is all I real am!

Thanks for your help and thoughts.
    Paul
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 12:28
    If it's a "serious" game (i.e. tournament or league game) then you are not allowed to make any notes during the game, you're not even allowed to write down your move before you play it!

Both players must record the moves and, strictly speaking, use algebraic notation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_notation_%28chess%29
    In practice no-one will complain if you use descriptive notation. They will complain if you don't record at all though.

If you're just going to be playing friendlies then you might get away with making notes, though personally I would be a bit put off by it.

After the game you should buy your opponent a pint if he beats you as an informal prize. If, on the other hand, you manage to beat him, then it is traditional to buy him a pint to make him feel better. If the game is drawn then two halves will do.
  3. e4
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 14:21
    Yes. I fully advise taking a score of informal games as well.
    It was the best peice of advice I ever read. I'm sure it came from Botvinnik.

I have notebooks full of most the skittles/blitz games I have played.

If you are a Hacker/Saccer then you will find no shortage of people willing
    to play you in skittles games. Interesting fun games is what informal chess
    is all about.

The 'Stodge Merchants' who get through one or two games night I had
    very little time for and often made some excuse to avoid playing them.

Sometimes I dive into one of these old note book for a reminder of the
    old days when I was good but got better and now I'm not so good.

That makes sense.
    I'm thinking the less you know about the game the better you play it.
    I have a head full of total garbage. All serious players have.

You should hear the internal arguments I have when playing.
    Before I started 'hearing the voices of the great and the good'
    I would go my merry way and enjoy every minute of it.

I'm White skittles played in 1978-1980.
    (try to date the games. Names were not too important. I lived in the club
    and played everyone, visitors or other team players who had finsihed earlier and
    was wanting a quick game whilst waiting for a lift home.)

There are a few notes I've added to a copy of the exact game a few pages later.
    I perhaps used it a chess mag or for a lecture or for another book.
    Quite detailed notes. So I'm guessing it went somewhere....?

I'm not too kind to the French Defence (or anyone who played it).
    About a year or so later I adopted it scoring some neat wins.
    It's called growing up.

"That's crap." has always been a favourite of mine.
    It was pulled from Rampant Chess often enough.

So the lesson is 'grow up......but don't grow old.'

4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 15:53
    Good luck and have fun 🙂
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 19:41
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    have fun 🙂
    ^this^
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '07
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 11:55
    Thank you all for your hints and tips, they were most helpful, though the first meeting was a little unusual as it was the Clubs AGM, so limited chess play and mostly beaurocracy. I will go back next week to try a 'proper' game week.

They had some blitz style games between a talk on the 'Indian defense' (if memory serves) and the AGM kicking off and said that I should have a game or two against one of their junior members - who promptly kicked my behind! Three times!

Apparently he came second in the under 14 age bracket of a National Comp, and beats a heck of a lot of adults - I think I handled it rather well - no swearing, threats of violence and only one naughty suggestion that next time he starts without his Queen (to be fair, still think he would have won!).

I am hoping next week to play someone closer to my level (i.e. some one who still calls the Knights 'Horseys'!

No alcohol changed hands, as it was a game with a minor 🙂

Thanks all
    Paul

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree