1. Joined
    25 Mar '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 04:43
    When is this scheduled to take place? Isn't it this month some time???
  2. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 04:51
    Still seems that it is up in the air...! Hopefully we won't get some kind of similar situation to the Kasparov-Shirov World Championship match that Shirov won the right to play by beating Kramnik, only for the result to be disregarded and for Kramnik to play Kasparov for the title in 2000.
  3. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 06:01
    No - it seems that it is on from the end of November till the start of December. However an open letter from FIDE complains about Kamsky's manager not having come up with the required funds for the match... see Susan Polgar's blog
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 10:39
    Originally posted by stockton1984
    When is this scheduled to take place? Isn't it this month some time???
    Thes two players are so talented...I wish some of that talent would rub off on me!
    😏
  5. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 09:00
    is Kamsky's father crazy ?
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 09:46
    Originally posted by vipiu
    is Kamsky's father crazy ?
    See Thread 53941.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 09:591 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    Thes two players are so talented...I wish some of that talent would rub off on me!
    😏
    I think Topov is a class above Kamsky. I predict that this match, if it happens, will be an Obama like victory for the Bulgarian. Here is a list of their previous encounters: http://tinyurl.com/63tn42

And here is a letter from Kamsky's father. I'd never read this before. Very interesting. http://chessarrabal.blogspot.com/2008/01/very-important-letter-kamsky.html
  8. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 11:57
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I think Topov is a class above Kamsky. I predict that this match, if it happens, will be an Obama like victory for the Bulgarian. Here is a list of their previous encounters: http://tinyurl.com/63tn42

And here is a letter from Kamsky's father. I'd never read this before. Very interesting. http://chessarrabal.blogspot.com/2008/01/very-important-letter-kamsky.html
    nice games, I like these exchanges sacks for some activity and pressure...
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '08 11:59
    Originally posted by ptobler
    ... see Susan Polgar's blog
    I saw Polgar's blog and an awful computer translation of Jan Timman's ramblings. Any Dutch speakers who can shed the light on what Mr Timman was on about?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 11:39
    Kamsky himself wrote a letter http://small-url.com/?8f

Perhaps someone needs to say "Show Me the Money," in the midst of all the yelling?
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 13:151 edit
    An open letter by Gata Kamsky, as reported by Chessbase News: (identical to Jie's previous link, sorry)

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5004

It looks to me like Gata is reaching his breaking point with FIDE, suggesting that maybe it's time for the USCF to think about legal action against FIDE. Unfortunately, the existing lawsuits that the USCF is involved in are creating extreme financial difficulties for the organization, and I don't think the USCF would be willing to add another lawsuit to its troubles. (Also, even if the USCF were flush with money, I doubt that the USCF leaders would have the balls to cross swords with FIDE anyway.)
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 14:35
    If I get this correctly, it is Kamsky's manager Alexander Chernenko who offered a $750,000 prize fund in Ukraine but who then failed to get bank guarantees. Now Kamsky is blaming FIDE. Why can't he ask himself the simple question, why did his manager make such a bid, their plans fell through and he blames FIDE? Perhaps he should look a little closer to home?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 14:56
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    An open letter by Gata Kamsky, as reported by Chessbase News: (identical to Jie's previous link, sorry)

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5004

It looks to me like Gata is reaching his breaking point with FIDE, suggesting that maybe it's time for the USCF to think about legal action against FIDE. Unfortunately, the existing lawsuits that t ...[text shortened]... money, I doubt that the USCF leaders would have the balls to cross swords with FIDE anyway.)
    I don't think the USCF has any grounds for legal action. How are they an injured party in this? Maybe Kamsky could sue, but I don't see why the USCF could or should. They are certainly free to express their opinion and to put whatever politcal pressure they can on FIDE (yes, there is some sarcasm here), but nothing beyond this.

Jie is right, too. Its as much Kamsky's fault (or at least his manager's) as FIDE's that we are here in the first place. It looks to me like they kept promising to get financing in place and came up with nothing. I don't want to even try to defend FIDE, as they seem to have the ethics of mobsters, but its not all one-sided in this case.
  14. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 14:571 edit
    Originally posted by Jie
    If I get this correctly, it is Kamsky's manager Alexander Chernenko who offered a $750,000 prize fund in Ukraine but who then failed to get bank guarantees. Now Kamsky is blaming FIDE. Why can't he ask himself the simple question, why did his manager make such a bid, their plans fell through and he blames FIDE? Perhaps he should look a little closer to home?
    There are two issues here, money and venue, although they might be partially linked. I think this is a situation where the fault lies with more than one person. Yeah, Kamsky's manager does seem to have dropped the ball on the money end of it. However, Kirsan personally guaranteed the money and the match venue, and is now reneging on his guarantee. Kinda stinks all around, if you ask me. It just seems to me that with about every other step that FIDE makes, they step in it big time. And it goes back to my previouus statement that Kirsan just does what he wants to do and doesn't care about the repercussions.

Edit - If FIDE didn't like Chernenko's empty promises, the responsible thing for FIDE to do would have been to put a quick deadline on Chernenko's money and then promptly deal with the issue when the deadline was missed. Instead, FIDE is addressing the issue at the last minute and trying to strongarm the players into agreements without them knowing any details.
  15. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 12:29
    it seems that for Kamsky those money are very important as he knows he does not have high qualifying chances...
    They should not split those money in half(like they did with Anand and Kramnik)...
    Have the prize unbalanced !!!...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree