1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Aug '17 17:452 edits
    The Caro Kann is and enigma. This modest looking, slow developing defense is normally ignored by club players, in favor of the more flashy Sicilian, or Indian defenses, but Grandmasters use the Caro Kann more often, knowing it's counter-punching effects can render white's position helpless. Few players demonstrated this better than Anatoly Karpov. Below are a few gems from Karpov's peak years. The former world champion seems to find almost limitless resources from this under appreciated defense..

https://www.chess.com/article/view/anatoly-karpov-and-the-caro-kann

https://www.chess.com/article/view/karpovs-strange-king-move-in-caro-kann-by-gm-magesh-and-gm-arun
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '17 19:24
    Originally posted by @mchill
    The Caro Kann is and enigma. This modest looking, slow developing defense is normally ignored by club players, in favor of the more flashy Sicilian, or Indian defenses, but Grandmasters use the Caro Kann more often, knowing it's counter-punching effects can render white's position helpless. Few players demonstrated this better than Anatoly Karpov. Below are ...[text shortened]... tps://www.chess.com/article/view/karpovs-strange-king-move-in-caro-kann-by-gm-magesh-and-gm-arun
    Sicilian, Caro Kann and French defense all seem to have about the same results for RHP players.

Masters looks like e5, Sicilian, Karo Cann and g6 seem to do about the same.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '17 01:49
    e4 is met with e5 here at RHP 62 percent of the time.

Ruy Lopez has been played nearly three times as many times a Caro Kann.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Aug '17 20:27
    The Caro-Kann, like many openings, goes in and out of favour. It is rich in possibilities and is theoretically sound. You will run into it as White sooner or later, if you play e4, so be prepared. I play it myself and would be glad to play the Black side of it against you; challenge me if you wish. Good practice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree