1. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 19:10
    Got this from Santa.
    So far, I'm quite impressed - the usual high quality comments, and a good, varied set of games.
    Anyone else got it?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 19:18
    I've got videos of Karpov's best games and I too am quite impressed. I used to think Karpov was a slow positional player with little tactical vision or ability yet it seems he cares a lot about the initiative and can execute some brilliant tactics.
  3. Joined
    30 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 19:18
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Got this from Santa.
    So far, I'm quite impressed - the usual high quality comments, and a good, varied set of games.
    Anyone else got it?
    Is that the one with him drawed on the cover in purple?
    If so I have it in german , its excellent indeed.
  4. London
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 19:20
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I've got videos of Karpov's best games and I too am quite impressed. I used to think Karpov was a slow positional player with little tactical vision or ability yet it seems he cares a lot about the initiative and can execute some brilliant tactics.
    It's easy to forget how close it was between him and Kasparov in those marathon matches they played. And I think Kasparov has said how those matches strengthened him as a player.
  5. Joined
    30 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 21:05
    Originally posted by Mahout
    It's easy to forget how close it was between him and Kasparov in those marathon matches they played. And I think Kasparov has said how those matches strengthened him as a player.
    In "My great predecessors" Kasparov speaks highly of Karpov in all parts of the book.This book is one of my personal favourites and well worth it if you are interested in those matches.
  6. Big D
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 14:41
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Karpov was a tremendous player and there are several volumes of his best games. I really enjoyed "How Karpov Wins," by Mednis; and "The Best of Karpov," by Markland.

Here's an oldie but goodie:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1067858

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree