Kasparov Making A Comeback!

Kasparov Making A Comeback!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
10 Apr 09

According to some recent twitters and a page on the FIDE website, Garry Kasparov has agreed in principle to return to chess for a world championship candidates' event!

What are your thoughts?

m

Moves
10 Apr 09

I'm doubtful.

But if he does, its a risk. It would be a massive deal and if he didn't do well as this would be such a momorable event it would tarnish the almost godlike view some people hold of him.

Likewise, if he pulls it off and plays chess like his days of old, then it would be a great move.

Motivated by... money/ glory/ boredom/ lack of political success?

s

Moves
10 Apr 09

Originally posted by mazattack
I'm doubtful.

But if he does, its a risk. It would be a massive deal and if he didn't do well as this would be such a momorable event it would tarnish the almost godlike view some people hold of him.

Likewise, if he pulls it off and plays chess like his days of old, then it would be a great move.

Well, chess is the only thing he is good at. It would make sense a comeback.

MR

Moves
10 Apr 09
1 edit

Originally posted by MrMartin
According to some recent twitters and a page on the FIDE website, Garry Kasparov has agreed in principle to return to chess for a world championship candidates' event!

What are your thoughts?
Could you please post the applicable link on the FIDE page? Just glancing at the news on FIDE's home page, I didn't notice anything related to the rumor. I consider all such rumors false unless I find a reliable source. (Yeah, I realize the irony of implying that FIDE is a reliable source. 😀 )

R

Moves
10 Apr 09

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Could you please post the applicable link on the FIDE page? Just glancing at the news on FIDE's home page, I didn't notice anything related to the rumor. I consider all such rumors false unless I find a reliable source. (Yeah, I realize the irony of implying that FIDE is a reliable source. 😀 )
http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/posts/1238558719.shtml

Check the date 😉

MR

Moves
10 Apr 09

Originally posted by Romanticus
http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/posts/1238558719.shtml

Check the date 😉
So I guess MrMartin is only nine days late, haha. (At least he didn't fool me.)

p

Moves
10 Apr 09

You have to ignore all news you see on april 1st folks!

MR

Moves
10 Apr 09

Originally posted by pijun
You have to ignore all news you see on april 1st folks!
Well, it's clear that MrMartin didn't even bother to check the FIDE web site... Either that, or like I said, he's 9 days late with his news. 😵

M

Moves
10 Apr 09

Originally posted by mazattack
I'm doubtful.

April fools or not - it would be good to see him come back

I hate the idea that someone can "tarnish their legacy" by continuing to play even when well past their prime. It encourages the annoying "retire while you're on top" mentality that causes some highly talented people to abandon a game or a sport that they can still play at an extremely high level.

Kasparov's accomplishments from when he was at his peak will remain on the books, and he will always be regarded as one of the all-time greats.

I don't think his political career has gotten much traction. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a comeback soon.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
12 Apr 09

Originally posted by MrMartin

What are your thoughts?
It was a mistake for Kasparov to enter politics. He should have stayed with chess.

c

Russ's Pocket

Moves
12 Apr 09

Originally posted by bill718
It was a mistake for Kasparov to enter politics. He should have stayed with chess.
Yes to true, one should never expand horizons.

A

Moves
12 Apr 09

Yes he plays chess better than politic games =)