1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 09:05
    (I just had to share this. I think this is perfectly true. What I love about chess is the ideology it comes with, which is formed around principles like these.)

-
    The real secret is to work hard

He stressed a number of times during the lecture that there are no miracles in chess.The “real secret” is to work hard no matter what the training tools are. In his days it was books and notebooks and today it is computers. He said “The tools can be different but what is important remains the same.” Kasparov also said that “I don’t think champions are born, I think they are made, it’s all the result of very hard work.” However, he further added that “being able to work hard is unique talent.”
    -
    http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2009/04/gks-chess-wisdom.html
  2. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 03:42
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    (I just had to share this. I think this is perfectly true. What I love about chess is the ideology it comes with, which is formed around principles like these.)

-

He stressed a number of times during the lecture that there are no miracles in chess.The “real secret” is to work hard no matter what the training tools ar ...[text shortened]... o work hard is unique talent.”
    -
    He stresses this point in his book "how life imitates chess" which I thought is a very good read if you are looking for an interesting self-help book. Actually that was my favorite quote from the book, how hard work is a unique talent in itself.

Sure there was Capablanca who supposedly didn't study was more interested in going out on the town. But Alekhine beat him through hard work and preperation, even though ALekhine himself said that he thought Capablanca was still the better player. His hard work and preparation was enough to beat him.

I think hard work can take you very far, surprisingly far actually, in anything. I do believe you need to have some talent to reach the elite status of any discipline, combined with hard work. Fischer also said that he thought without talent you couldn't be great, but working like a dog can get you very good.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 06:42
    Originally posted by diskamyl

-

He stressed a number of times during the lecture that there are no miracles in chess.The “real secret” is to work hard no matter what the training tools ar ...[text shortened]... o work hard is unique talent.”
    -
    I agree๐Ÿ˜
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 07:12
    Originally posted by passedpawn22
    He stresses this point in his book "how life imitates chess" which I thought is a very good read if you are looking for an interesting self-help book. Actually that was my favorite quote from the book, how hard work is a unique talent in itself.

Sure there was Capablanca who supposedly didn't study was more interested in going out on the town. Bu ...[text shortened]... thought without talent you couldn't be great, but working like a dog can get you very good.
    I listened to that book (audio version), and although I liked some of his insights, I didn't like the NLP style which became apparent from time to time. but I would agree it's a good read nevertheless.

it's interesting that the greatest in chess were actually the hardest workers.
  5. Joined
    11 Feb '04
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 12:23
    Originally posted by passedpawn22

Sure there was Capablanca who supposedly didn't study was more interested in going out on the town. Bu ...[text shortened]... thought without talent you couldn't be great, but working like a dog can get you very good.
    Totally Agree.
  6. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 16:03
    The most important thing in chess is hard work? I would disagree, but I'm far too lazy to think up a reason why.

๐Ÿ˜‰

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree