1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 14:161 edit
    http://www.chessvibes.com/breaking-kasparov-announces-candidacy-for-fide-president

Kasparov runs for FIDE president, but this time he has the backing of an Oil Shake (Sheikh Mohammed bin Ahmed Al Hamed) with unlimited funds! For those who haven't paid attention to previous elections, it has been widely 'suspected' that reining president, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, has managed to buy the presidency by giving backhanders to electors from tiny countries. When Karpov ran last elections (with Kasparov as his second), there was much discussion about small islands getting an equal vote with huge countries like Russia. It appears that this time round, Kasparov has learned that it's a rigged game!

I am interested to know what people think about his candidacy? Personally, i'm not convinced he would make a good leader. The man is a great chess player, but he is such a combative personality. When the World championship was split up in the 90's, it really did nothing for the sport. Yes FIDE was in a terrible state at the time and there were a lot of mitigating circumstances that i don't really want to go into as they're a point in history. But Kasparov was the main reason obstacle to a reunification of the two titles.

Don't get me wrong, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov is a nut bag I would be happy to see the back of him. But Kasparov as his replacement? Not so sure..
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 14:28
    Does he believe in aliens? didn't the last guy?
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 14:29
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Does he believe in aliens? didn't the last guy?
    Ilyumzhinov has claimed repeatedly that he's been contacted by Aliens. Like i said, he's a nut job 🙄
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 14:301 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    http://www.chessvibes.com/breaking-kasparov-announces-candidacy-for-fide-president

Kasparov runs for FIDE president, but this time he has the backing of an Oil Shake (Sheikh Mohammed bin Ahmed Al Hamed) with unlimited funds! For those who haven't paid attention to previous elections, it has been widely 'suspected' that reining president, Kirsan Ilyumz ...[text shortened]... nut bag I would be happy to see the back of him. But Kasparov as his replacement? Not so sure..
    this'll learn you for calling Kirsan Ilyumzhinov a nut bag!

PROOF!
    http://media.moddb.com/images/members/1/978/977782/alien-vs-predator-chess-20090426-124300.jpg 😏
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 14:34

PROOF!
    http://media.moddb.com/images/members/1/978/977782/alien-vs-predator-chess-20090426-124300.jpg 😏
    Haha, i have that image as my facebook background. 😀
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 14:42
    It seems logical to let a world champion run FIDE. Kasparov wanted to run Russia at one point so FIDE? I think yes
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 14:50
    It seems logical to let a world champion run FIDE. Kasparov wanted to run Russia at one point so FIDE? I think yes
    I don't doubt that he would be better than Ilyumzhinov, but he has spent his entire life as the rouge outsider. The man has had bitter feuds with more people than i care to remember. Chess needs a person who can bring Unity and common purpose. Electing Kasparov is like electing Mike Tyson to run Boxing.
  8. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 15:23

PROOF!
    I have that pic as my desktop background, also.
    Recently had to give my laptop in for repairs... I hope it gives them a laugh for when they open windows up 😀

On topic... I like Kasparov, combative though he is, there is one thing for certain and that is he would do a good job,
    not for his own gain but for the sheer love of chess that he has.

I think many chess players, from all levels, will be happy to see the retired King at the helm.
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 15:36
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    I have that pic as my desktop background, also.
    Recently had to give my laptop in for repairs... I hope it gives them a laugh for when they open windows up 😀

On topic... I like Kasparov, combative though he is, there is one thing for certain and that is he would do a good job,
    not for his own gain but for the sheer love of chess that he has.

I think many chess players, from all levels, will be happy to see the retired King at the helm.
    Don't get me wrong, i like the guy. But is he the best person to represent the interests of players like Kramnik or Topalov? Kasparov has had criticism for pretty much every top player over the last 20 years, the man really is incapable of being impartial.

That said, his profile would no doubt do the game plenty of good. He is still news worthy and could no doubt do a lot to raise the profile of chess. I just worry that he is just as capable of causing a rift and bringing the game bad press. Chess needs a Diplomatic figure head, not a Tsar.
  10. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 16:00
    I like Kasparov. He's a very eloquent and intelligent speaker, even though English is his second language.

Plus, he was a pretty good chess player.
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 16:132 edits
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I like Kasparov. He's a very eloquent and intelligent speaker, even though English is his second language.

Plus, he was a pretty good chess player.
    My preference would be Andrew Paulson, who heads Agon which sponsored the Candidates tournament. I would prefer him as he is a business man and has a proven track record in media and promotion. I think the Candidates tournament was a glimpse of what chess could be. I am actually quite surprised that he didn't run tbh..

Alternatively, what about Malcolm Pein? The man has organised the best tournament for the last few years (London chess classic), runs a charity to promote chess in schools. i think he would also make a great candidate.
  12. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 16:56
    Kasparov for president of U.S.A.
  13. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 17:45
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Don't get me wrong, i like the guy. But is he the best person to represent the interests of players like Kramnik or Topalov? Kasparov has had criticism for pretty much every top player over the last 20 years, the man really is incapable of being impartial.

That said, his profile would no doubt do the game plenty of good. He is still news worthy and c ...[text shortened]... ausing a rift and bringing the game bad press. Chess needs a Diplomatic figure head, not a Tsar.
    I think those players would be happy about Kasparov being elected,
    particularly Vlad, as he studied chess in the same school as him,
    and also Kramnik's selection to be part of the Russian olympiad (1992 i think?) was mostly backed up by garry 🙂

Besides, it might make chess more popular, as his return may raise interest from outside i.e. perhaps from those who followed him during his political endeavours.

However I am also a fan of Malcolm Pein, as he does run his tournaments smoothly,
    and charities to do with teaching more kids how to play is a huge plus 🙂

Maybe there should be a tournament for the position? lol, place your bets now!
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 18:11
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    I think those players would be happy about Kasparov being elected,
    particularly Vlad, as he studied chess in the same school as him,
    and also Kramnik's selection to be part of the Russian olympiad (1992 i think?) was mostly backed up by garry 🙂

Besides, it might make chess more popular, as his return may raise interest from outside i.e. perhaps ...[text shortened]... a huge plus 🙂

Maybe there should be a tournament for the position? lol, place your bets now!
    Haha, a tournament would be slightly one sided with Kasparov involved. 😀

I'm not sure how well Kasparov gets on with these top guys. He fell out with Kramnik quite badly after Vlad denied him an automatic rematch when he beat Kasparov for the World title. The way he treated Anand during their World championship match was hardly held up as a model of sportsmanship either. He did a pretty good job of taking credit for Carlsens rise to the top as well, even though they only worked together few a couple of months. He has to be centre of attention, i find it hard to believe that that wouldn't bring him into conflict with the top players sooner or later.
  15. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 20:131 edit
    Maybe he might bring back a classical match play world championship. That would be something I would really like to see.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree