1. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    10 Apr '13 19:12
    I know a lot of people don't like Kasparov but I'm not one of them. I admire him as a chessplayer and human being.

http://chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009442/kasparov-to-receive-human-rights-award-100413.aspx
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '13 22:19
    One quibble: "He was listed by Time Magazine as one of the Top 100 people whose moral example is transforming the world" is most certainly not an accurate depiction of what the Time 100 most influential people in the world list is about.

I don't want to go on too much about the political alignment of "UN Watch". Perhaps anyone interested could just read the Wiki article about them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Watch and make up their own mind about where they're coming from.
  3. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 01:051 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    [b]One quibble: "He was listed by Time Magazine as one of the Top 100 people whose moral example is transforming the world" is most certainly not an accurate depiction of what the Time 100 most influential people in the world list is about.

I guess you would know better than Time Magazine what their definition of moral example is.

While you're at it, why don't you tell me who I should admire?
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 02:141 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    (this refers to the post immediately above.)

This is an overreaction, and personal in a negative way that isn't justified. We don't have to agree, but we can be civil about it.

Kasparov can be a polarizing figure, which is part of what makes him so interesting.
  5. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 05:001 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    I know a lot of people don't like Kasparov but I'm not one of them. I admire him as a chessplayer and human being.

http://chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4009442/kasparov-to-receive-human-rights-award-100413.aspx
    its his second. he got one from vladimir putin 😛
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 12:281 edit
    I wish he would run for the U.S. Senate. I would vote for him for President if he was allowed to run.
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 13:09
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I wish he would run for the U.S. Senate. I would vote for him for President if he was allowed to run.
    Very clever people like that I wouldn't always vote for - I didn't like al gore

I used to be a salesman and you can trick clever people in ways a stupid person would not fall for (flattery)

Tony Blair was clever and not gullable but i find most clever people are
  8. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 15:05
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Tony Blair was clever and not gullable
    You are joking of course.

Blair absorbs flattery like a sponge. He has an ego the size of a minor planet. And 'not gullible'? Well, you decide: after a weekend of private meetings with George Dubya Bush (and some prayin' together apparently), Blair emerged convinced that invading Iraq was the right thing to do 🙄
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 15:08
    Originally posted by atticus2

Blair absorbs flattery like a sponge. He has an ego the size of a minor planet. And 'not gullible'? Well, you decide: after a weekend of private meetings with George Dubya Bush (and some prayin' together apparently), Blair emerged convinced that invading Iraq was the right thing to do 🙄
    That just shows who has the money bucket.
  10. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 15:123 edits
    I fear for Kasparov's life, especially after what happened to Alexander Litvinenko and Boris Berezovsky. Kasparov is risking his life standing up to Putin. Even if you disagree with Garry, you have to admire his cojones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko

http://kavkazcenter.com/eng/content/2013/03/25/17528.shtml

As far as overreacting, it all depends on how deeply you admire someone. I have deep admiration for Kasparov. My reaction was normal based on that.. For others who don't like Kasparov or like him less, yes, it would be an overreaction.
  11. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 15:17
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    So would I.

Kasparov on Bill Mahler's show:
    YouTube
  12. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 15:316 edits

I think what you miss is Blair and Bush were a bit like Thatcher - scary to have as president as they could be so willful, but terrible to have as an enemy. People mock Bush but who would you rather have as a foe? you could appease Al Gore no end but you could not appease Bush that easily.

Blair was confident / arrogant a bit but in a healthy way - he didn't need flattery, he would take very unpopular decisions if essential.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Apr '13 01:58

Invading Iraq to remove that dictator was the right thing to do and it would have worked perfectly if the U.S. had more courageous allies instead of so many cowards following after that French leader. You cowardly British would not have helped either, if it was not for Tony Blair. That is the way I feel about it.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Apr '13 07:091 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You cowardly British would not have helped either, if it was not for Tony Blair. That is the way I feel about it.
    How many VCs have Americans won?
    Eh?
  15. e4
    Moves
    12 Apr '13 14:031 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    How many VCs have Americans won?
    Eh?
    Six.

Including Bellenden Seymour Hutcheson who was born in America and
    took up Canadian nationality just so he could fight in WWI.
    Off he goes and fights in WWI. Wins the Victoria Cross, comes home and
    takes up American nationality again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree