1. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    18 Nov '20 23:355 edits
    So all of us that want to improve know we have to study.

My chosen method is "play through master games and figure out the next move"
    (Unless it is a Pachman book, the dude is a beast at teaching, try him)

So...if I can't figure out the next move which the author clearly says is tactical should I look at the answer or focus on my board for days or even weeks until I solve the small tactic that the author is presenting to me?

The dilemma is figure it out no matter how long it takes and you will always know it or look at the answer and learn it and maybe remember it?
  2. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    19 Nov '20 00:12
    I looked...

Alas, only 1600 🙁
  3. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    19 Nov '20 00:47
    When I try problems, I give myself 5 minutes, then check the answer. If I find myself checking every answer, then I consider trying easier problems.
  4. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    19 Nov '20 02:07
    @MontyMoose

Probably best.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '20 04:06

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Nov '20 13:07
    @cheesemaster said

So...if I can't figure out the next move which the author clearly says is tactical should I look at the answer or focus on my board for days or even weeks until ...[text shortened]... long it takes and you will always know it or look at the answer and learn it and maybe remember it?
    One danger with focusing on tactics is that you miss the obvious.
    Also you need to try and work out your opponents tactics
    Often have I looked at my game,decided on a great "tactical" move ,played it and not noticed one of my pieces was hanging!!
    A good habit to get into is making a final check on the position before pressing the "submit" button
    I wish I always followed my own advice!!
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Nov '20 19:342 edits
    @cheesemaster said

So...if I can't figure out the next move which the author clearly says is tactical should I look at the answer or focus on my board for days or even weeks until ...[text shortened]... long it takes and you will always know it or look at the answer and learn it and maybe remember it?
    I think Monty Moose is correct. Give yourself a set amount of time to solve, then look. The only thing I would add is if you had to look up the answer, set the position up on your board and play through the correct sequence of moves to the end several times, using your own board and pieces. Doing this will enable you to remember the solution much longer. This method works with tactics and endgame exercises as well.
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    19 Nov '20 19:521 edit
    I use my board and pieces about 80% of the time but I think I'm going to use it all the time.
    It was a game by Petrosian I was playing through on my board.
    I'll go over it again and solve the tactics in my head because now I know the answer 😉
  9. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    19 Nov '20 19:54
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    No doubt about that.

His books on strategy are great for intermediates though 🤔

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree