Kepler

Kepler

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pp

Moves
14 Sep 09
5 edits

nevermind.

h

Moves
14 Sep 09
1 edit

Johannes Kepler was a German mathematician, astronomer and astrologer, and key figure in the 17th century scientific revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler

pp

Moves
14 Sep 09

Originally posted by heinzkat
Johannes Kepler was a German mathematician, astronomer and astrologer, and key figure in the 17th century scientific revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler
exactly.

M

Moves
14 Sep 09

Originally posted by philidor position
nevermind.
Why the change of heart philidor position?

pp

Moves
14 Sep 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Meadows
Why the change of heart philidor position?
Heinzkat corrected me about mass resignations (I'd jumped to quick conclusions) and couldn't be 100% sure they are the same person.

M

Moves
14 Sep 09

Originally posted by philidor position
Heinzkat corrected me about mass resignations (I'd jumped to quick conclusions) and couldn't be 100% sure they are the same person.
Fair point.

I'd assume they weren't, though. Johannes Kepler died in 1630.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
14 Sep 09

yeah, looks like kepler took half a year off. he's back on the crack mountain though, nobody drops the habit.

QI

Moves
15 Sep 09

Originally posted by Meadows
Fair point.

I'd assume they weren't, though. Johannes Kepler died in 1630.
chess.com's was convicted on 6/8/09.

http://www.chess.com/members/view/Kepler

"media vita in morte sumus" indeed!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Sep 09

Originally posted by Quiet Interlude
chess.com's was convicted on 6/8/09.

http://www.chess.com/members/view/Kepler

"media vita in morte sumus" indeed!
Interesting.

MC

Moves
15 Sep 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
Interesting.
I don't trust chess.com though, they leave known cheaters alone and ban others with flimsy evidence.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Sep 09

Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
I don't trust chess.com though, they leave known cheaters alone and ban others with flimsy evidence.
Kepler on January 19, 2009: chess.com seems to have an interesting variant on RHP's system. From what I can see the same match up analysis is done (if not the same, very similar) but if the suspect fails those in charge ask the suspect to explain their apparent abilities. If the suspect can hold a conversation about chess in which they can (a) make sense and (b) explain plausibly and/or verifiably their better-than-master ability they are allowed to remain, otherwise they get the chop. The banning process seems to be more ruthless as well.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=106865&page=1#post_1995214

It would be fascinating to hear his side of the story.

FL

Moves
15 Sep 09

Is it definite that the kepler who was banned from chess.com is the same person as the kepler here?

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
15 Sep 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
Kepler on January 19, 2009: chess.com seems to have an interesting variant on RHP's system. From what I can see the same match up analysis is done (if not the same, very similar) but if the suspect fails those in charge ask the suspect to explain their apparent abilities. If the suspect can hold a conversation about chess in which they can (a) make sense ...[text shortened]... 6865&page=1#post_1995214

It would be fascinating to hear his side of the story.
The process you have quoted is what I was told when first joining chess.com. I believe that standards have slipped somewhat since then. As is usual on any internet chess site there is a great deal of paranoia about cheating and some members spend all their time comlaining about the speed of the process, the accuracy etc. In January and through until about June-ish there was a steady trickle of bannings but some vocal members were constantly complaining about the lack of speed etc. At this point there was a short hiatus in the bannings but when the process recommenced it was faster and seemed less rigorous. Certainly the enquiries about ability seem to have ceased at that point or possibly earlier. I suspect that the site admins listened to the complaints and relaxed the requirements.

There are players on chess.com who make some of the suspected cheats here look like angels but who are not touched, and there are others who must be getting advice from their cat but still get banned. It is notable that two of those banned from RHP, cludi and ih8sens are playing on chess.com. ih8sens has apparently advised on chess.com's cheat detection system!

So much for chess.com's systems. I do not know why I was banned. I only discovered the fact when trying to log in when I was informed my account was closed, not that I had been banned. I asked and was told I was banned for cheating but not what form of cheating. I speculate that it was related to a heap of other bannings for multiple accounting that happened about the same time. Most of those banned were new members and seemed to be banned on the say so of one particular member who is held in high esteem for some reason. I know I had upset that person just before being banned so it is possible that is the reason. I don't know, and to be honest don't care an awful lot. When all is said and done, chess.com is just another tuppeny ha'penny internet chess site.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
15 Sep 09

Originally posted by Fat Lady
Is it definite that the kepler who was banned from chess.com is the same person as the kepler here?
Yes, tis I.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Sep 09

Originally posted by Kepler
The process you have quoted is what I was told when first joining chess.com. I believe that standards have slipped somewhat since then. As is usual on any internet chess site there is a great deal of paranoia about cheating and some members spend all their time comlaining about the speed of the process, the accuracy etc. In January and through until about Jun ...[text shortened]... When all is said and done, chess.com is just another tuppeny ha'penny internet chess site.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.