Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Wildfire
    Force of Nature
    14 Apr '06 14:02
    Originally posted by theFreemovieLeader
    Who likes to play this opening and why?
    I certainly don't.
  2. 14 Apr '06 14:02
    It used to be my opening of choice, just for the massive tactical complications that occur. I have since switched to the English as it requires less opening research to play in a tournament. I still play the kings gambit in blitz games though.
  3. Standard member Wildfire
    Force of Nature
    14 Apr '06 14:03
    Originally posted by zebano
    It used to be my opening of choice, just for the massive tactical complications that occur. I have since switched to the English as it requires less opening research to play in a tournament. I still play the kings gambit in blitz games though.
    I don't like the King's Gambit, because it's too dangerous if black knows what to do.
  4. 14 Apr '06 14:05
    Originally posted by Wildfire
    I don't like the King's Gambit, because it's too dangerous if black knows what to do.
    humbug. It's a one of the non-refuted gambits and is still used in grandmaster play.
  5. 14 Apr '06 14:29
    Originally posted by theFreemovieLeader
    Who likes to play this opening and why?
    I like to play this opening when my tactics are getting rusty. That and the Evans Gambit.
  6. 14 Apr '06 15:33
    I play both sides of the King's Gambit (KG) in blitz games and will play it with White against weaker players; but I never play it against evenly rated or higher rated players in serious OTB games. However, the most complex lines of the KG are ideal for correspondence chess. Morphy, Chigorin, Tartakower, Keres, Bronstein and Spassky have all played some magnificent KG games.
  7. 14 Apr '06 18:24 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by zebano
    humbug. It's a one of the non-refuted gambits and is still used in grandmaster play.
    Your Joking right??

If you understand describtive notation and can read. PDF files....

http://www.academicchess.com/images/pdf/chessgames/fischerbust.pdf

If not....

http://www.academicchess.com/Games/chessviewer/Fisherbustkingsgambit.shtml

oh and - i'm not sure about the accuracy of the claim but....

"Fischer was so infuriated by the loss, that when he got home he wrote an article entitled "A Bust to the King's Gambit.". This article became the most famous article about an opening ever, and it had devastating affects on the King's Gambit opening.

Since that article, the King's Gambit has disappeared entirely from Grand Master play. After this article, no player, including Spassy, who played Fischer over 40 times, ever tried the King's Gambit against Fischer despite the fact Fischer never won a tournament game to it! Just goes to show how might Fischer's pen was!"

On RHP I'm a 1500 player, sofar my best result has been a draw with a 1700 -(despite being close to winning a few of them, I tned to fall at the last hurdle)

but then we have this game ---

Game 1950332

Kings Gambit, against a 1800 player - which I won....

If he played any other opening he would have kicked my arse - but as it so happens, I've read fishcer's article and used that for an opening book.....and when he finally deviated from the lines i was still able to use the priciples and idea's in all the other varitations....

If you Play Kings Gambit, you might wanna have a little awareness of fischers article....
  8. Standard member cludi
    Blogger
    14 Apr '06 19:08
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    I play both sides of the King's Gambit (KG) in blitz games and will play it with White against weaker players; but I never play it against evenly rated or higher rated players in serious OTB games. However, the most complex lines of the KG are ideal for correspondence chess. Morphy, Chigorin, Tartakower, Keres, Bronstein and Spassky have all played some magnificent KG games.
    You could have added modern masters like
    Short, Adams, Ivanchuk, Grischuk, Morozevich
    and the ultimate KG grandmaster: Alexei Fedorov

I love KG - without that opening I seriously doubt that I
    would play here. It's so much fun and it wins me a game
    every now and then
  9. Standard member cludi
    Blogger
    14 Apr '06 19:13
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    Your Joking right??

If you understand describtive notation and can read. PDF files....

http://www.academicchess.com/images/pdf/chessgames/fischerbust.pdf

If not....

http://www.academicchess.com/Games/chessviewer/Fisherbustkingsgambit.shtml

oh and - i'm not sure about the accuracy of the claim but....

"Fischer was so infuriated by th ...[text shortened]... Play Kings Gambit, you might wanna have a little awareness of fischers article....
    KG has had several revivals since the Fischer-bust in 1960...

But you're right as far as the fact that it's seldomly played by
    absolute top players in absolute top events.
  10. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    16 Apr '06 01:05
    Originally posted by Wildfire
    tell that to Northern Lad
  11. 16 Apr '06 09:23
    I play this opening from time to time. This is not a safe opening, you either win or lose; draws don't happen all that often. It's an all out brawl of tactics and so much more. That's why I like it. Try it, it's fun.
  12. 16 Apr '06 10:29
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I play this opening from time to time. This is not a safe opening, you either win or lose; draws don't happen all that often. It's an all out brawl of tactics and so much more. That's why I like it. Try it, it's fun.
    Yes, I use it in blitz games on FICS, I know the lines a little better than my opponents so I always end up with a time advantage. I don't use it in correspondence because I feel it doesn't offer as big an advantage as other slower openings if your opponent plays carefully.
  13. 16 Apr '06 13:38
    Here is a game I just played on FICS with it:

[Event "FICS rated standard game"]
    [Site "FICS, San Jose, California USA"]
    [Date "2006.04.16"]
    [Time "06:14:46"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "Me"]
    [Black "Opponent"]
    [WhiteElo "1549"]
    [BlackElo "1511"]
    [TimeControl "600+10"]
    [Mode "ICS"]
    [Result "1-0"]

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3 d5 4. exd5 Qxd5 5. Nc3 Qe6+ 6. Be2 Bb4 7. O-O
    Nf6 8. d4 Bxc3 9. bxc3 O-O 10. Bxf4 Re8 11. Bd3 c6 12. Ng5 Qg4 13. Qd2 h6 14. h3 Qd7 15. Nf3 g6 16. Ne5 Qe6 17. Bxh6 Nbd7 18. Rae1 Nxe5 19. Rxe5 Qd7 20. Qg5 Rxe5 21. Qxf6 Qxd4+ 22. cxd4 Bxh3 23. Qg7# {Black checkmated} 1-0
  14. 16 Apr '06 17:10
    Originally posted by Positional Player
    Here is a game I just played on FICS with it:

[Event "FICS rated standard game"]
    [Site "FICS, San Jose, California USA"]
    [Date "2006.04.16"]
    [Time "06:14:46"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "Me"]
    [Black "Opponent"]
    [WhiteElo "1549"]
    [BlackElo "1511"]
    [TimeControl "600+10"]
    [Mode "ICS"]
    [Result "1-0"]

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3 d5 4. exd5 Qxd5 ...[text shortened]... 0. Qg5 Rxe5 21. Qxf6 Qxd4+ 22. cxd4 Bxh3 23. Qg7# {Black checkmated} 1-0
    ....what the hell happened??

Nh7 isn't going to win the game but it is sure as hell better than what black played.....

as For Kings Gambit I searched 404 standard games I have at FICS -
    only 5 were Kings Gambit - so, needless to say, I rarely Play, or Play against it...
  15. Standard member abejnood
    Independant Thinker
    16 Apr '06 17:37
    I love the King's Gambit!