1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Nov '05 21:14
    Hi,

My favourite opening now is the KIA, but I'm not sure how to start it. Would it be best to start with e4 or go for g1-f3 as my first move? What do you guys think would give white the best chance?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    26 Nov '05 21:58
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Hi,

My favourite opening now is the KIA, but I'm not sure how to start it. Would it be best to start with e4 or go for g1-f3 as my first move? What do you guys think would give white the best chance?

Thanks in advance!
    It kinda depends on what your opponent is doing, no?
  3. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Nov '05 22:03
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It kinda depends on what your opponent is doing, no?
    Yeah, if he isn't paying attention, take his queen's bishop off the board. He won't notice anything.
    If he is paying attention, well, just get on with the game.

(like, what can your opponent do before the first move?)

Serious advice: It probably doesn't matter, but if you play g1-f3 your opponent won't have a clue as to what you are playing, and you still have alot of options. 1. e4 eliminates a number of options.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 04:48
    Yeah, it matters what my opponent does, but unless he's going for the Scandinavian, I can pretty much go for KIA without a problem. Though it is a good point, that e4 limits more options.

If you guys were to play KIA, how would you start it?
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 05:18

If you guys were to play KIA, how would you start it?
    I play it in blitz and always start 1. NF3
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 06:04
    I thought more about what you said and Nf3 actually does seem to be the better choice for a beginner like me. By starting that way, black cannot go e5 and it seems as if his moves are more predictable. In addition, it is much harder for him to lead you astray because he can't for example do Scandinavian or anything like that.

While I'm decent with both, I think it probably would be better if I worked more on Nf3.

Thanks for the help everyone.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 18:42
    I went for Nf3-g3-Bg2 then d3 or 0-0 depending on my opponents position. My main problem was whether to play Nc3 or Nd2 in some positions.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 19:32
    I thought Nd2 was standard in KIA, what benefits did you have from Nc3? More space?
  9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 21:50
    I thought Nd2 was standard in KIA, what benefits did you have from Nc3? More space?
    Yeah, it is the common move. Nd2! The reason for that move is to help support the push of the e4 pawn to e5! You always should strive for e5 in KIA. I use to play that opening, but I found it's way too theoretical to play for anyone who hasn't got a strong tactical game just yet. The compexities are limitless in that opening. It makes for some interesting games. But, I'd play something like the Scotch game, Guioco Piano, etc... Those are straight forward openings that give you immense tactical chances and great striking power. KIA is definitely not for the layman. Get your tactics first. Worry about openings after you achieve an 1800 rating strength. 99% of chess is tactics. Just open up and make good opening moves. Then, go for it. 🙂
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 23:14
    Well, i liked it sometimes as a KID with an extra tempo, and if they set up a centre, i could play d3 and e4, and then Nc3 tempting a d4, then Ne2 to respond to this, and the other N went to e1, and then play f4 as if a KID reversed.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 09:331 edit
    "KIA is definitely not for the layman. "

Oh really, the reason I even selected it was because I thought it was meant to be a good opening for beginners. That's what I read on Exeter Chess, here: http://chessb.demonweb.co.uk/chessweb/Openings/sic10.html

What do you guys, think is KIA too much for a novice?

BTW: What's the purpose of a2-a4 in the KIA?
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 12:16
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Yeah, it is the common move. Nd2! The reason for that move is to help support the push of the e4 pawn to e5! You always should strive for e5 in KIA. I use to play that opening, but I found it's way too theoretical to play for anyone who hasn't got a strong tactical game just yet. The compexities are limitless in that opening. It makes for some i ...[text shortened]... ngth. 99% of chess is tactics. Just open up and make good opening moves. Then, go for it. 🙂
    'KIA is not for the layman'?! 'You should always strive for e5 in KIA'?!

Half the things you say just seem to be quotes of various sorts, do you never think for yourself?!

I played the KIA only knowing the first few moves, then played the plans I liked, in some cases that was a KID with an extra tempo, and played Nc3-e2and Nf3-e1 and set about a k-side attack starting with f4...
    Thats the beauty of the opening, it gives you a fairly wide range of approaches you can take.
  13. Forgotten
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 13:53
    Hi,

Thanks in advance!
    you as the king gather up all the indians you can find
    get them all tweeked out on peyote and tell them the opponents king hates indians and he took their land
    this will get them on the war path and almost ready to attack
    i always get them real drunk just before we attack at dawn
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '05 01:05
    LOL, I'll get back to you on that.
  15. Forgotten
    Moves
    29 Nov '05 02:05
    LOL, I'll get back to you on that.
    that right kimosabie

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree