1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:35
    I like talking during the games but I rarely find an opponent who does also.
    I think people are scared.

If you think talking on-line is tough?...try talking to a stranger in real life.

Try talking to your neighbor! It's amazing how people used to be friendly and now everyone avoids everyone at all costs.

I have lived in my apartment building for 3 years and not one person has ever said hi to me...the building has 27 apartments.

People are pathetic.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:37
    In there defense, me wearing nothing but a rain coat might have something to do with them not talking to me...but still.
  3. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:37
    Originally posted by Automaton
    I have lived in my apartment building for 3 years and not one person has ever said hi to me...the building has 27 apartments. People are pathetic. :'(
    It's tough being the elevator 🙁
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:38
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Ups and downs, my friend, ups and downs.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:41
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    How did you know? was it the smell? 😞
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:50
    anyone messaging anything beyond 'good luck' in a blitz game will find themself added to noplay list.
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 03:52
    Originally posted by wormwood
    anyone messaging anything beyond 'good luck' in a blitz game will find themself added to noplay list.
    What about "whoopsie", I use that a lot😛
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:16

If you think talking on-line is tough?...try talking to a stranger in real life.

Try talking to your neighbor! It's amazing how people used to be friendly and now everyone avoids everyone at all costs.

I have lived in my apartment building for ...[text shortened]... not one person has ever said hi to me...the building has 27 apartments.

People are pathetic.
    i guess most people are just here to play chess and don't really want to get into a conversation. i used to talk quite a bit in games when given the opportunity but now i tend to avoid anything past 'hello' and 'good luck' and that's only if they say something first. to many times when i first joined i would say that but get no response, like it takes a lot of effort to say 'ty, gl' or some such in response.

re 'real life' i found most americans to be quite friendly and at least would've said hello if you spoke first. actually i think in general if you speck first most people will at least fake a little conversation just be polite if they don't really want to talk, while you won't be able to shut others up once you get them started.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:32
    "while you won't be able to shut others up once you get them started"

Those and close talkers should be shot in the street and left for the crows.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 04:34
    Is close, as in "close the door" and close, as in "that was close" the same spelling?
  11. Standard memberBorgov
    King-Flicker
    Leeds, UK.
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 22:05
    I find it courteous to say “Hi Goodluck” at the beginning of a CC game (most people don’t even respond to that). But I must admit I can’t stand having people constantly messaging you during the game, especially if they are wanting to discuss the position, it just puts me off. I used to play postal CC (yes on postcards with a stamp, people still do that!) and with the odd opponent I’d get a full length letter with every single move, which got really uncomfortable - especially when one started telling me about his marriage problems - I want to play Chess, not start a pen pal relationship son! 😲

In OTB I always take the gamble of trying to be sociable before the clocks start - exchange pleasantries, ask how they did in the previous round, that sort of thing (if it’s a Congress) 8 out of 10 times they will be very pleasant, but you do get the odd prat or social inadequate who will either be rude or stare at you blankly - but at the end of the day quite a lot of Chess players do seem to have things wrong with them! 😉
  12. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 23:01

I have lived in my apartment building for ...[text shortened]... not one person has ever said hi to me...the building has 27 apartments.

People are pathetic.
    How many of you neighbors could have written that post? Try using a smaller brush.
  13. Joined
    08 Sep '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 17:13
    It all depends. Sometimes people won't reply to the 'hi and gl', sometimes people will have small talk, sometimes the clock will run out while we chat...but of course you can not expect this all the time, its's just the way it is

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree