Lack of Interaction

Lack of Interaction

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
21 Nov 09

One thing that really bugs me about playing chess on line is that most people do not communicate at all. This is less of a problem with correspondance games, but at places like FICS people usually don't respond at all. If they do, sometimes it is just to be rude.

What do you think is the reason for this? Is it that the interface makes it diffiuclt to communicate? Chess players are just rude? What do you think?

h

Moves
21 Nov 09

Shut up and play

E

Moves
21 Nov 09

Usually I try to interact after the game or as the game is about to end.

h

Moves
21 Nov 09

Originally posted by Eladar
as the game is about to end.
Shut up I try to concentrate 😕

E

Moves
21 Nov 09

I knew I should have responded to your wit in the first response. 😉

h

Moves
21 Nov 09

I mean, if the game is about to end - i.e. the tension is unbearable - I really don't want some stuff that distracts me.

E

Moves
21 Nov 09

If it is near the end of the game, it's because the game has been decided. Either one person is going to resgin or play it out. I don't try to interact when there is still tension.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Nov 09

One thing that really bugs me about playing chess on line is that most people do not communicate at all. This is less of a problem with correspondance games, but at places like FICS people usually don't respond at all. If they do, sometimes it is just to be rude.

What do you think is the reason for this? Is it that the interface makes it diffiuclt to communicate? Chess players are just rude? What do you think?
When I play at FICS or ICC, I try to emulate OTB conditions. It would be considered rude and distracting to talk to someone OTB, so I don't do it online during the game. I usually sign off immediately after a game so I can analyze it using an engine so I don't chat afterwards either. I never thought of it as rude; I thought the object of those sites was to play chess, not socialize.

E

Moves
21 Nov 09

Do you not interact with your opponent after the game? Traditionally it would be shaking hands or at least say thanks for the game.

h

Moves
21 Nov 09
1 edit

Do you not interact with your opponent after the game? Traditionally it would be shaking hands or at least say thanks for the game.
I usually conclude with a derogatory oneliner

E

Moves
21 Nov 09

I liked your response before the edit better. 😉

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
21 Nov 09

Chessplayers are often rude/antisocial. And hate being distracted during a game. Many servers have a feature like 'set quietplay' that prevents any tells from coming through with a game in progress. That's how I've got mine set. If you want to chat, do it after the game.

E

Moves
21 Nov 09

Swissgambit,

That's when I usually try to say soemthing. But I generally don't get any reply at all.

s

Moves
21 Nov 09

I like nothing better than to chat against an opponent. After all aren't these supposed to be friendly games? Some players are to serious! Others seem hesitant to chat. No one rude yet on RHP!

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
22 Nov 09

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
I like nothing better than to chat against an opponent. After all aren't these supposed to be friendly games? Some players are to serious! Others seem hesitant to chat. No one rude yet on RHP!
My experience as well. I currently have games going on against KingoftheRink and also his friend slopey, and both of our games have been chatty affairs, and pretty funny too! Sometimes it's hard to "read" things online, but I feel that even though we are each playing to win, it is more important for us to have a good and enjoyable game, and that the experience is more important than the result.

I am enjoying both games, regardless of how they turn out in the end. And I have definitely made it one of my life goals to travel to the UK just to play in a chess tournament or two ( and drink hand-pulled draught beer and eat shepherd's or cottage pie, but I digress) and meet some of these guys!

Paul