Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 21 Nov '09 22:29
    One thing that really bugs me about playing chess on line is that most people do not communicate at all. This is less of a problem with correspondance games, but at places like FICS people usually don't respond at all. If they do, sometimes it is just to be rude.

    What do you think is the reason for this? Is it that the interface makes it diffiuclt to communicate? Chess players are just rude? What do you think?
  2. 21 Nov '09 22:31
    Shut up and play
  3. 21 Nov '09 22:33
    Usually I try to interact after the game or as the game is about to end.
  4. 21 Nov '09 22:35
    Originally posted by Eladar
    as the game is about to end.
    Shut up I try to concentrate
  5. 21 Nov '09 22:36
    I knew I should have responded to your wit in the first response.
  6. 21 Nov '09 22:38
    I mean, if the game is about to end - i.e. the tension is unbearable - I really don't want some stuff that distracts me.
  7. 21 Nov '09 22:55
    If it is near the end of the game, it's because the game has been decided. Either one person is going to resgin or play it out. I don't try to interact when there is still tension.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    21 Nov '09 22:59
    Originally posted by Eladar
    One thing that really bugs me about playing chess on line is that most people do not communicate at all. This is less of a problem with correspondance games, but at places like FICS people usually don't respond at all. If they do, sometimes it is just to be rude.

    What do you think is the reason for this? Is it that the interface makes it diffiuclt to communicate? Chess players are just rude? What do you think?
    When I play at FICS or ICC, I try to emulate OTB conditions. It would be considered rude and distracting to talk to someone OTB, so I don't do it online during the game. I usually sign off immediately after a game so I can analyze it using an engine so I don't chat afterwards either. I never thought of it as rude; I thought the object of those sites was to play chess, not socialize.
  9. 21 Nov '09 23:08
    Do you not interact with your opponent after the game? Traditionally it would be shaking hands or at least say thanks for the game.
  10. 21 Nov '09 23:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Do you not interact with your opponent after the game? Traditionally it would be shaking hands or at least say thanks for the game.
    I usually conclude with a derogatory oneliner
  11. 21 Nov '09 23:16
    I liked your response before the edit better.
  12. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    21 Nov '09 23:21
    Originally posted by Eladar
    One thing that really bugs me about playing chess on line is that most people do not communicate at all. This is less of a problem with correspondance games, but at places like FICS people usually don't respond at all. If they do, sometimes it is just to be rude.

    What do you think is the reason for this? Is it that the interface makes it diffiuclt to communicate? Chess players are just rude? What do you think?
    Chessplayers are often rude/antisocial. And hate being distracted during a game. Many servers have a feature like 'set quietplay' that prevents any tells from coming through with a game in progress. That's how I've got mine set. If you want to chat, do it after the game.
  13. 21 Nov '09 23:30
    Swissgambit,

    That's when I usually try to say soemthing. But I generally don't get any reply at all.
  14. 21 Nov '09 23:51
    I like nothing better than to chat against an opponent. After all aren't these supposed to be friendly games? Some players are to serious! Others seem hesitant to chat. No one rude yet on RHP!
  15. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    22 Nov '09 03:30
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I like nothing better than to chat against an opponent. After all aren't these supposed to be friendly games? Some players are to serious! Others seem hesitant to chat. No one rude yet on RHP!
    My experience as well. I currently have games going on against KingoftheRink and also his friend slopey, and both of our games have been chatty affairs, and pretty funny too! Sometimes it's hard to "read" things online, but I feel that even though we are each playing to win, it is more important for us to have a good and enjoyable game, and that the experience is more important than the result.

    I am enjoying both games, regardless of how they turn out in the end. And I have definitely made it one of my life goals to travel to the UK just to play in a chess tournament or two ( and drink hand-pulled draught beer and eat shepherd's or cottage pie, but I digress) and meet some of these guys!

    Paul