1. Joined
    14 May '04
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 16:13
    Is there a number of moves that I have to get the opponent in checkmate when they have only there king left. Would love to know !!

Regards Rob Gates
  2. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 16:18
    Originally posted by rob gates
    Is there a number of moves that I have to get the opponent in checkmate when they have only there king left. Would love to know !!

Regards Rob Gates
    if there are no pawns on the board, and no pieces captures, then you have 50 full moves (100 half moves)..
    if there are pawns.. the count restarts everytime a pawn moves forward, or a piece is captured.
  3. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 16:191 edit

Regards Rob Gates
  4. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 20:39
    Chess rules...
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 22:21
    I had a quick look at your games: asking for advice on games in progess is out of order (Game 1511840). Even in a matter as "objective" as what the rules are, our answers will affect your play.

You can use a number of on or off line resources, as long as they are non-move calculating. www.fide.com has the rules of chess. There are many sites with databases, and you can find tutorials on openings and endgames by typing what you want into a web search engine.
  6. London
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 22:44
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I had a quick look at your games: asking for advice on games in progess is out of order (Game 1511840). Even in a matter as "objective" as what the rules are, our answers will affect your play.

You can use a number of on or off line resources, as long as they are non-move calculating. www.fide.com has the rules of chess. There are many sites ...[text shortened]... ou can find tutorials on openings and endgames by typing what you want into a web search engine.
    No. It's perfectly fine to give advice in this situation. It is information readily available on the internet/books, and it is not like him asking what the best move is or something along those lines.

So.... A draw can be claimed after 50 moves without a pawn move or peice capture. A draw can also be claimed by the three move repetition rule; meaning that if exact same position occurs three (or more) times in a game then a player can claim a draw, but only on the move that has the repetition in it.
  7. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    09 Nov '05 23:17
    hey. since this wasn't asked in the help forum.. are we allowed to give bogus advice? 😛
  8. Joined
    14 May '04
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 12:18
    why would you want to do that ?

rob
  9. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 14:59
    Games over, so it's okay to comment. Not pretty at all, but you made very effective use of your king in the endgame.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 15:16
    Originally posted by DeepThought

You can use a number of on or off line resources, as long as they are non-move calculating. www.fide.com has the rules of chess. There are many sites ...[text shortened]... ou can find tutorials on openings and endgames by typing what you want into a web search engine.
    In OTB, a chess player may stop the clock to consult with the TD concerning certain problems. However, a rule as basic and elementary as the fifty-move rule is not justification for such action, and could be penalized.

However, asking about the rules without stopping the clock is acceptable. That seems closest to the situation here.
  11. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 16:20
    why would you want to do that ?

rob
    its an inside joke in the Help forum

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree