1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 14:11
    Originally posted by Grobzilla
    Also, Swissgambit, your two arguments through position are contradictory. In one the stalemate-giver has more material and in the other the stalemate-receiver has more material. You say the rule will favor materialistic play, but as either side can give stalemate regardless of material advantage, how can this be?

But that one position is till moot. White wins no matter the first move.
    The first position is just to illustrate the strange idea that you can win with only a King. The only 'argument' in it is that this kind of result will be difficult to accept for people used to the current version of chess.

The first position is not nearly as likely to occur in a game as the second. The first position works only if the last pawn is a Rook pawn, while the second still holds if the pieces are shifted to the right or left; as long as the pawn isn't a Rook pawn.

It is much more likely that the side with more material will give the stalemate instead of receiving it. Thus, the rule favors more materialistic play.
  2. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 14:36
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The first position is just to illustrate the strange idea that you can win with only a King. The only 'argument' in it is that this kind of result will be difficult to accept for people used to the current version of chess.

That's probably true.

The first position is not nearly as likely to occur in a game as the second. The first position works only if the last pawn is a Rook pawn, while the second still holds if the pieces are shifted to the right or left; as long as the pawn isn't a Rook pawn.

It is much more likely that the side with more material will give the stalemate instead of receiving it. Thus, the rule favors more materialistic play.

Also probably true. Is that the end of the game as we know it? I honestly don't know. I sure would like to see several thousand Master games w/the rule change to see if fighting chess goes away. If it does, I can tell you, no matter how logical I might think it is, I won't have it. Tal is my favorite player, after all.
  3. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 14:39
    My as-I-type spellchecker doesn't work in this forum's post editor. Didn't think I needed to put it in Word first to make sure it's up to the RHP forum standards. But seeing as that was one of maybe 3 in many, many words typed, I do wonder if you'll forgive my transgression. Please find it in your heart.

And, yes, 18 games in 5 years. HERE. Played many ...[text shortened]... ck of play on RHP doesn't allow me an opinion. Maybe it's you that needs to settle down.
    my point about 18 games in 5 years is, how likely is it that you will be stalemated? you have 1 draw Game 5481377 although i would have played on, you must have had your own ideas to take draw, of course you are entitled to have a opinion, non sub or not, its you thats clearly not happy as no one agrees with you, do you want to change the rules of bridge as well?
  4. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 15:08
    Originally posted by roma45
    my point about 18 games in 5 years is, how likely is it that you will be stalemated? you have 1 draw Game 5481377 although i would have played on, you must have had your own ideas to take draw, of course you are entitled to have a opinion, non sub or not, its you thats clearly not happy as no one agrees with you, do you want to change the rules of bridge as well?
    I've only ever played one or two games where I accidentally stalemated someone in the endgame. I've never been stalemated that I can remember. My style of chess rarely allows for it. "Mate or die" has always been my chess motto. And again, RHP is not the only place I play chess, or have played chess. Plenty more games under the belt.

But guess what? I'm not arguing for the rule change to affect my chess life alone. I'm arguing for the change solely because I find it illogical, and I hate to see the whole chess world play under it.

I don't mind debating. I fully realize that my opinion on this matter is in the minority. It doesn't mean I'll change it. Unless, of course, someone makes a truly informed and logically clear point that moves me. I can indeed be put off my current opinion. Thank god for that. I'd surely hate to have all the exact same opinions my entire life. Wouldn't you?

And yes, there are Bridge rules I'd like to see changed. I'm not the only one. And we have opposition. And we debate. Frequently. And sometimes the rules change. Even for the better. Sometimes they don't. Life, and the game, carries on. Bridge rules change with greater frequency than Chess. Maybe it's the culture...?

Oh, and I think it's hysterical that you analyzed a patzer's game to see if the draw meant anything or was accurate. I don't know why, it just tickles me. Analyzing any of my games can only lead to ruin. I play the Grob almost exclusively as White, for Pete's sake. LOL
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 16:171 edit
    Has it ever been explained why I should be responsible for my opponent's legal moves? In no other game/sport that I know of is this a player's responsibility. It seems if you've let yourself out of legal moves, you should be punished in some form. This is why when explaining stalemate to first-timers, they ALWAYS have the "smelling onions" face. Every othe e fashion, but rewards would be changed. It all just seems logical to this patzer.
    I am against changing any rules of normal chess. We have many variant forms of chess for that kind of thing to satisfy you. Make it up as a variant form of chess, if you wish and leave normal chess alone. 😏
  6. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 17:11
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am against changing any rules of normal chess. We have many variant forms of chess for that kind of thing to satisfy you. Make it up as a variant form of chess, if you wish and leave normal chess alone. 😏
    Ok, so you're against it; any arguments as to why, except for "I don't like change".

I like to make beautiful things more beautiful, at least from a logical aesthetic. So, no, I don't believe I will leave "normal" chess alone. I will continue to debate until the rule is changed, or my mind is. And that's possible. It's just that nobody has done an excellent job of doing so, yet. The closest has been the point about it might make chess more materialistic and less attacking. I might abide by that if it can be proven.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 17:19
    At the middle/higher levels, things such as perpetual check and sac stalemates add a lot of beauty and tension to the game. You can't just blindly liquidate a material edge into a won game.. every W must be earned.
    At the beginner level its more of a "derp, not this again!" with KQ vs K stalemates
    😞

btw, as said already the point of the game is to checkmate the enemy king. If you want to change the primary point of the game, then just create a whole new game.
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 17:29

white to play.. how do you assess this position?
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 18:15
    Originally posted by maxlange
    At the middle/higher levels, things such as perpetual check and sac stalemates add a lot of beauty and tension to the game. You can't just blindly liquidate a material edge into a won game.. every W must be earned.
    At the beginner level its more of a "derp, not this again!" with KQ vs K stalemates
    😞

btw, as said already the point of the game is to c ...[text shortened]... king. If you want to change the primary point of the game, then just create a whole new game.
    Well said
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 18:16
    Ok, so you're against it; any arguments as to why, except for "I don't like change".

I like to make beautiful things more beautiful, at least from a logical aesthetic. So, no, I don't believe I will leave "normal" chess alone. I will continue to debate until the rule is changed, or my mind is. And that's possible. It's just that nobody has done an excel ...[text shortened]... chess more materialistic and less attacking. I might abide by that if it can be proven.
    Dude, WTH planet are you from??
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 18:241 edit
    thanks CP

black to move (position shown from blacks side)
  12. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 18:28
    I just think its cool that I can pull a draw out of a loss if my opponent is not careful and allows me to get a statemate.
  13. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 18:30

I like to make beautiful things more beautiful, at least from a logical aesthetic. So, no, I don't believe I will leave "normal" chess alone. I will continue to debate until the rule is changed, or my mind is. And that's possible. It's just that nobody has done an excel ...[text shortened]... chess more materialistic and less attacking. I might abide by that if it can be proven.
    Continue to debate. Nuts like you supporting rule change are the best argument against it.
  14. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 18:54
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Dude, WTH planet are you from??
    It's yet to be determined. I'll go with "Chocolate Thunder" Darrell Dawkins' home planet, LOVETRON.
  15. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 18:58
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    Continue to debate. Nuts like you supporting rule change are the best argument against it.
    That's the same argument used by every totalitarian state to keep political/religious debates away from them. Good company you're keeping.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree