19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 14:43
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    February 13-24 2010

http://www.ajedrez.ciudaddelinares.es/index.htm

I'm looking for a link to the English version ... I can't find it 😳

Can you guys help me out ?

I don't think there is one. Looks like the best you can do is something like Google translate. Not perfect, but better than nothing.
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 15:441 edit
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I don't think there is one. Looks like the best you can do is something like Google translate. Not perfect, but better than nothing.
    Thanks.

Well, at least I can follow the games live in algebraïc notation ... and there is the live webcam ... interesting.

... and of course I can tune in to ICC Chess.FM
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 17:58
    Nobody following the games ?
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 18:03
    I think it's come too soon after Wijk aan Zee, which was a great tournament with lots of exciting games. Linares hasn't been as interesting so far.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 18:40
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I think it's come too soon after Wijk aan Zee, which was a great tournament with lots of exciting games. Linares hasn't been as interesting so far.
    Yes, compared to Wijk aan Zee Linares is rather tame.
  7. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 21:54
    With only 6 players we're going to have a lot fewer games, and a more even tournament generally. Still it hasn't been dull by any means. I love the game Grishuk - Gelfand, for example, a very instructive kings side squeeze. Look at the way he exchanges twice on d5 when conventional wisdom advises keeping minor pieces on the board with an IQP.
  8. Joined
    01 Jan '09
    Moves
    17 Feb '10 23:42
    Originally posted by dikankan
    With only 6 players we're going to have a lot fewer games, and a more even tournament generally. Still it hasn't been dull by any means. I love the game Grishuk - Gelfand, for example, a very instructive kings side squeeze. Look at the way he exchanges twice on d5 when conventional wisdom advises keeping minor pieces on the board with an IQP.
    I also love the game Grischuk--Gelfand. Thank goodness Grischuk didn't follow conventional wisdom.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 20:22
    Linares: Topalov of the World

A two game winning streak was enough to put Veselin Topalov well on top at Linares - and it also propels the Bulgarian to the top of the live ratings, as he's now set to replace Norwegian teenager, Magnus Carlsen, as the new world No.1 with the publication of the March FIDE rating list.

After beating Russia's Alexander Grischuk in round five, Topalov rode his luck for a second successive win after a dramatic reversal of fortunes by local Spaniard Francisco Vallejo, who somehow managed to contrive to blunder away a whole rook in chronic time trouble.

The brace of wins proved sufficient to move Topalov up the charts to 2814 in the live ratings, as he edges Carlsen off the top spot to second on 2813 - but Topalov missed a golden opportunity to move closer to winning Linares and an even bigger lead at the top of the live ratings, after he failed to find the spectacular knockout punch (34 Rxe4!!) against the world No.5, Levon Aronian, in round seven.

The squandered opportunity against Aronian allowed defending champion Grischuk to stay within striking distance of the tournament leader, as Vugar Gashimov's Modern Benoni was finally made to suffer in sorrow, as can be seen in GM Ronen Har-Zvi's choice for GOTD below.

Play resumes Tuesday (10:00am ET) with the final two rounds of play at Linares. Will Topalov hold off the challenge of Grischuk? Can Topalov continue winning to increase his lead at the top of the world rankings over Carlsen? You can find out by joining us for live coverage here on Chess.FM of the final rounds of Linares, where host Mig Greengard will be joined for the finale by GMs Ben Finegold and Alex Yermolinsky.

Source: Newsletter International Chess Club ICC
  10. The sky
    Moves
    23 Feb '10 21:41
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    A two game winning streak was enough to put Veselin Topalov well on top at Linares - and it also propels the Bulgarian to the top of the live ratings, as he's now set to replace Norwegian teenager, Magnus Carlsen, as the new world No.1 with the publication of the March FIDE rating list.
    I read elsewhere (http://www.nettavisen.no/sjakk/article2838170.ece - in Norwegian) that the Linares games won't be taken into account for the March FIDE rating list. It probably won't matter either way, as Topalov lost to Grischuk today.
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    25 Feb '10 20:10
    Topalov won the tournament !

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/topalov-beats-gelfand-wins-linares-outright/#more-22523
  12. Joined
    12 Dec '09
    Moves
    25 Feb '10 21:28
    Why does gashimov keep playing the benoni ????????

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree