1. washington
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 05:42
    has anyone ever read this book? whats its approach to teaching it? is this the best one of its kind or is there a better one?
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 05:51
    Originally posted by kmac27
    has anyone ever read this book? whats its approach to teaching it? is this the best one of its kind or is there a better one?
    Great book. Explains every move of the game.

1.e4 Moves pawn 2 squares, controls the d5 and f5 square. Releases the bishop and queen.

1...e5 etc....
  3. washington
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 05:59
    would that be the ideal book to get on learning how to think for a move? or is there a better book? i saw another one that was similar.
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 06:40
    would that be the ideal book to get on learning how to think for a move?
    It's a great book, but it doesn't exactly teach you "how to think for a move." But it does explain the rationale behind each and every move of the game that he is annotating, of which there are about two dozen. I lent it to a friend who was something of a beginner in chess. When next I saw him, he was all aglow. After having finished readiing the book, he exclaimed, "Now I know how to play chess!"
  5. washington
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 06:42
    good insights it may be just a book that would be a fun read although i'd learn from it. i'm probably going to get that book probably but still looking before i buy.
  6. washington
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 06:45
    are john nunns books better? understanding chess move by move and grandmaster chess move by move. any good. better?
  7. U.S.A.
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 07:023 edits
    I think it's kinda boring and so I didn't read much of it. Maybe because it says so little about my favorite openings. Also probably because he says some things which are common sense (to me at least) like "White may may not touch the Queen, as his Bishop Pawn is pinned" or "Three pieces now attack the helpless Knight", "black must recapture or lose a pawn" etc. It's a good book though it has some good explanations and pointers in it but I just found it too boring for me too continue. If you have a lot of patience too read through all the common sense comments and you like the openings he talks about then it's worth the read i guess.

Personally i prefer Jeremy Silman's books:
    How to Reassess you chess, Complete Endgame manual, Amateur's mind. Tony Kosten's "Dynamic English", "MCO". Reinfeld's puzzle books.
    I feel those books tell me more of what i need/want too know.
    =============================================

these are all the openings that he mentions in the book:
    (I own the older version of it though. 1957(c) Bought at used book store. Maybe revised edition has more openings?)

Center counter gambit (pg.192)
    English opening (pg. 67)
    French Defense (pg. 40,57,72,77)
    Giuoco Piano (pg. 9,17,32)
    King's Gambit Declined (pg. 27)
    Queen's Gambit Accepted (pg. 90)
    Queen's Gambit Declined (pg. 98,108,115,121,136,162,182,200)
    Colle System (pg. 21,44,62,130)
    Nimzo-Indian Defense (pg. 155,219)
    Stonewall Attack (pg. 36,50,84)
    Sicilian Defense (pg. 172)
  8. washington
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 07:17
    i have some patience i read 275 of silmans complete guide to endgames book. so is this book geared on explaining more opening moves and why they are made? does it also include middle games? it seems interesting enough to give it a shot. i read the dynamic english but some of it seemed too short on the openings it was showing. one opening only has 2 games for that opening line!
  9. U.S.A.
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 07:286 edits
    i have some patience i read 275 of silmans complete guide to endgames book. so is this book geared on explaining more opening moves and why they are made? does it also include middle games? it seems interesting enough to give it a shot. i read the dynamic english but some of it seemed too short on the openings it was showing. one opening only has 2 games for that opening line!
    Just checked it now and it does actually go all the way too mate or resignation. In every game; so that is definitely pretty cool. 🙂
    It also lists the opponents playing each game, the date and what color they were. I think it's definitely worth the read. I'm just too lazy and need to be entertained, i guess. ha,ha, ha. And you're right about Kosten's book. Hopefully he will write a second or third book someday adding things he left out from the first. Any other questions about the book? I have it right next too me now. 33 complete games shown in it, also.

-- Paul

p.s. best wishes on your study!
  10. washington
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 07:31
    The Art of Planning in Chess: Move by Move
    How to Choose a Chess Move
    Logical Chess: Move By Move: Every Move Explained
    How To Think In Chess

these are the books i've been looking at. the one you have seems to be the best. although soltis's book may be just as good i've read his books and they are well explained. they have the book you have at the store now so i may just go get it tomarrow ;-) i'm doing a lot to try to get to the master level. i figure learning how to think right on moving will help me ;-)
  11. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 07:44
    I'd say
    under 1600 Logical chess move by move
    over 1600 Understanding chess move by move

Chess: the art of logical thinking has had some bad reviews.
  12. washington
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 07:46
    so at my level understanding chess move by move would be a better book for me?
  13. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 07:52
    so at my level understanding chess move by move would be a better book for me?
    Yes, I would think so.
    The Chernev book does cover a lot of ground, repeating the basics over & over again, bashing you over the head with sensible "rules" for opening/middlegame/endgame.

The Nunn book does not repeat anywhere near as much & is more diverse.
    Instead of wasting space, Nunn refers the reader back to earlier games for the same opening moves.
    Also, the games in Nunn's book are without doubt more varied & more modern theory is applied such as deep analysis for various lines.
  14. washington
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 07:55
    thanks for your insights.
  15. U.S.A.
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 08:023 edits
    I forgot to mention maybe also check library to see if they have a free copy there you can borrow? And after reading the books at the library you will know which one is best for you.

-- Paul

p.s. sometimes at a bookstore i will just open the book and read for a few minutes over 20 minutes sometimes and they won't say anything. If they say "can i help you?" you say, "I am trying to decide whether i like this book enough to buy it or not" then they'll usually leave you alone to read some more. By the time they call the bouncer to throw you out you will have a good idea about whether you liked the book or not. (just kidding 'bout bouncer. lol) 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree