1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 20:472 edits
    It's a King's, It's a Queen's, It's a Double Indian!?
    I wanted to post this out here for some general discussion.

The opening caught me a bit off guard, and save for three consecutive blunders (game costing in my opinion, 7. Nh3, 8.c3, and 10. b4), I thought it really had some remarkable potential.
    It exerted a significant amount of pressure on my center pawn stucture and could have given white the opportunity to gain a pawn advantage early in the game.

Game 1811873
  2. Standard memberWibble Wobble
    Action barbie
    Ka-koogy
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 20:57
    Originally posted by Bishopcrw

The opening caught me a bit off guard, and save for three consecutive blunders (game costing in my opinion, 7. Nh3, 8.c3, and 10. b4), I thought it really had some remarkable potential.
    It exerted a significant amount of pressure on my ce ...[text shortened]... n white the opportunity to gain a pawn advantage early in the game.

Game 1811873
    What the heck is he playing? Thats the most stupid thing ive ever seen
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 21:01
    Oh common!
    It is significantly better than 1. g4 2. f3!
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 21:13
    It's a double fianchetto attack! I must admit I am rather skeptical as to its effectivness.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 21:20

It exerted a significant amount of pressure on my ce ...[text shortened]... n white the opportunity to gain a pawn advantage early in the game.

Game 1811873
    Could you not have just taken the bishop with the pawn on move 23? 😀
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 21:23
    That was the first thing I diagnosed about it as well.
    So my plan quickly became to disrupt the fiancetto's.
    Hence the pawn push to e4 and the bishop attack on the right.

Keep in mind the errors that I pointed out.
    I think he would have been significantly more effective if he hadn't blocked two of his three black diagonals with pawns.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 21:25
    Originally posted by welsharnie
    Could you not have just taken the bishop with the pawn on move 23? 😀
    Absolutely not!😲

He would have the back rank mate with 24.Rxd1#
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 21:32
    Absolutely not!😲

He would have the back rank mate with 24.Rxd1#
    He can't, he is in check himself from your shiny new KNIGHT on c1! 😛
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 21:431 edit
    A knight?

Then I would have just been up a bishop after his rook had taken the knight. The threat of the pawn was far more valuable than the bishop itself. Granted if played differently it could have been whites' rook bishop against black's queen bishop.

Edit - True I did over look that option. As I said earlier I was defending the mate. Oh well thank you for the lesson Arnie.

But I digress.

Surely you would have some comment on the opening Arnie?
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 22:19
    A knight?

Then I would have just been up a bishop after his rook had taken the knight. The threat of the pawn was far more valuable than the bishop itself. Granted if played differently it could have been whites' rook bishop against black's queen bishop.

Edit - True I did over look that option. As I said earlier I was defending the mate. Oh well than ...[text shortened]... he lesson Arnie.

But I digress.

Surely you would have some comment on the opening Arnie?
    I just noticed the possiblity for a nice under-promotion, and couldn't resist... especially considering I guessed someone would accuse me of getting back-rank mated!

The opening itself is kind of tricky, it's hard to say it is inherently bad, and quiet, double fianchetto positions are possible, but my gut instinct is white should move some other things around before a second fianchetto, make sure he does not run the risk of getting crushed! (It could almost be said to be bad, on that basis then- that white is already making sure he doesn't emerge with a disadvantage.)
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '06 22:32
    One thing I saw as an option as you stated Arnie.
    Was the Knight development. In response to the discovered threat from the bishop and queen Nc3 would have blocked the threat from the bishop. Developed a peice and threat to the center.
    And if Black still wanted to trade queens then white could respond with the rook turning the open file into his personal cannon and still been able to castle.

With the pawn threatening f3 I thought the Kings knight would have worked well to the center after a pawn push of e3 then Ne2.

This would have blocked the advancing pawn and still developed another peice rather than using a half knight.
  12. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 03:54

Game 1811873
    black's early ...e4 is suspicious. As a general principle, black is a tempo behind and should not advance pawns swiftly (unless there is a winning tactic) ahead of piece development. Advancing costs a tempo and presents the other side with a target for exchange anyway. Also, committing early allows white to stop guessing where the push will come. I prefer setting up the e5, d5 pawn center first.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 16:091 edit
    Thanks for the tip.

I felt I had a decent strategy with the push.
    With the threat to f3, white was faced with pushing a pawn and uncovering the King side, half knighting, or just taking the reduced use of his fianchetto. All less than desirable options.

Also with whites move of both the b and g flank pawns.
    I was positioned well to castle early and gain back the initiative.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree