Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member orfeo
    Missing 285 + 1
    07 Apr '06 11:47
    ...and don't blink!

    Anyone else got examples of games where they won because their opponent avoided an exchange?

    Game 1818469
  2. 07 Apr '06 13:15
    Originally posted by orfeo
    ...and don't blink!

    Anyone else got examples of games where they won because their opponent avoided an exchange?

    Game 1818469
    Only yesterday on FICS I lost one because of that....

    if I went hunting i could find thousands..,
  3. Standard member orfeo
    Missing 285 + 1
    15 Apr '06 14:21
    *large bump*
  4. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    15 Apr '06 18:33
    Originally posted by orfeo
    ...and don't blink!

    Anyone else got examples of games where they won because their opponent avoided an exchange?

    Game 1818469
    The real reason your opponent lost is because he failed to look one move ahead. Ariel Mengarini's sage advice is so often neglected: "Avoid blunders! Avoid blunders! Drum it into your head. No move without a next-ply search!".
  5. 15 Apr '06 18:33
    Originally posted by orfeo
    ...and don't blink!

    Anyone else got examples of games where they won because their opponent avoided an exchange?

    Game 1818469
    A bit similar in the end to your own game:

    Game 1810323
  6. Standard member orfeo
    Missing 285 + 1
    15 Apr '06 22:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The real reason your opponent lost is because he failed to look one move ahead. Ariel Mengarini's sage advice is so often neglected: "Avoid blunders! Avoid blunders! Drum it into your head. No move without a next-ply search!".
    Well, duh. It's a blunder by definition. It was the KIND of blunder I was interested in.

    And I might add it was a calculated move on my part because I thought my opponent was the type of player who WOULD avoid an exchange.
  7. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    15 Apr '06 23:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Well, duh. It's a blunder by definition. It was the KIND of blunder I was interested in.

    And I might add it was a calculated move on my part because I thought my opponent was the type of player who WOULD avoid an exchange.
    What's the point of showing people overlooking a one-move checkmate? You dress it up in some kind of showy title like "Avoiding an exchange and losing", as if you were offering something remotely interesting or educational on that particular topic.

    This example is about as interesting:


    White to move

    Black is just one of those players that doesn't like to trade pieces! Knowing that, White plays the brilliant 1.b6!!! knowing that Black will play 1...a5 to avoid the trade, allowing a clear win after 2.b7!!
  8. 16 Apr '06 11:17 / 1 edit
    [Event "OTB 30m+30m"]
    [Site "Finland"]
    [Date "2005"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "Jusuh"]
    [Black "1600-rated"]
    [Result "1-0"]

    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4 h6 5. O-O Bc5 6. c3 dxc3 7. Bxf7+ Kf8
    8. Nxc3 Qe7 9. Bxg8 Rxg8 10. Nd5 Qd8 11. Be3 Bd6 12. Bd4 Qe8 13. Re1 Nxd4
    14. Qxd4 c5 15. Qc3 b6 16. e5 Qe6 17. exd6 Qxd5 18. Rad1 Qf5 19. Re5 Qg6
    20. Nh4 Qg4 21. Rf5+ Ke8 22. Re1+ Kd8 23. h3 Qxh4 24. Qxg7 Re8 25. Rxe8+
    Kxe8 26. Rf8#
    {White mates} 1-0

    clearly, 7...Kf8, avoiding exchange of bishops (7...Kxf7 8.Dd5+) was a blunder.
  9. 16 Apr '06 11:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    "Avoid blunders! Avoid blunders! Drum it into your head. No move without a next-ply search!".
    Game 1852647

    wise words. if black had followed that advice he wouldn't have thrown his queen away on move 24 to a knight fork
  10. Standard member orfeo
    Missing 285 + 1
    17 Apr '06 01:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    What's the point of showing people overlooking a one-move checkmate? You dress it up in some kind of showy title like "Avoiding an exchange and losing", as if you were offering something remotely interesting or educational on that particular topic.

    Have a brain. The idea was for people who are better chess players than I to come up with BETTER examples.

    Where in the world did you get the idea that I was the teacher, not the student? I'm trying to start a thread because I thought I might learn something from it. Instead of pulling it down, why don't you search through your own brilliant repertoire and post a decent example of an exchange being avoided which costs the game?
  11. Standard member orfeo
    Missing 285 + 1
    17 Apr '06 01:07
    Originally posted by PawnChop
    Game 1852647

    wise words. if black had followed that advice he wouldn't have thrown his queen away on move 24 to a knight fork
    Again, where did you get this idea that I thought I was a good chess player?
  12. 17 Apr '06 06:13
    when you tell us you devised a chess plan based upon the fact you had deciphered your opponents chess style and could predict his moves before he made them.
  13. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    17 Apr '06 07:32 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Have a brain. The idea was for people who are better chess players than I to come up with BETTER examples.

    Where in the world did you get the idea that I was the teacher, not the student? I'm trying to start a thread because I thought I might learn something from it. Instead of pulling it down, why don't you search through your own brilliant repertoire and post a decent example of an exchange being avoided which costs the game?
    No one is accusing you of being a teacher or a good chess player. The title indicated that you might have unearthed what must be a rare thing in your games: a moment of inspiration.

    Upon finding that all there was in the thread was merely a game decided on the crudest of blunders (can't get much worse than a helpmate in 1!), most people politely made no comment. Rather than taking the hint, you bumped the thread.

    Anyway, as requested, here is a better example.

    BDP-NN
    White to play

    Hoping to shake up a roughly equal position, I played 1.e6!?. The main point is to win the exchange by exf7+, since Black must do something about his hanging Queen. Black did not wish to play an endgame down the exchange, so he replied 1...f4? and fell victim to my attack: 2.exf7+ Rxf7 3.Bxf7+ Kxf7 4.Rf1 Bd6 5.Qh4, and Black's exposed K did not survive.

    Much better would have been 1...Qxg3! 2.exf7+ Rxf7 3.hxg3 and Black has a pawn for the exchange, and White is saddled with two isolated, doubled g-pawns. Black has perfectly good chances.