1. Joined
    23 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 13:51
    Hey, I don't know if anyone will see an issue with my asking about this, but I thought I'd ask. I'd like to get better in general, and I've always wondered whether there was a program/database out there that functioned as follows:

I'd like to be able to set up a position (to test openings and such, not on a per-game basis, but for academic interest), and have it display information like the position name, possible developments, strengths, weaknesses, a couple links to famous games using that position (or similar ones), interesting quirks, and maybe even links to a couple books on amazon regarding the position.

I've had resources in the past, but none which met a good number of those conditions.

Again, I'm not looking to cheat, only to improve my general understanding of the game.

Thanks very much,
    Sean
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 14:12
    Unfortunately for you this doesn't exist. It would be quite nice though. The program Chessbase has a function called "Opening Report" that is quite similar where you can input a position and it will give you the following:

-First game where this position was reached (With Link).

-Last game where this position was reached (With Link).

-Last GM game where this position was reached (With link).

-Number of games played in each year so you can gauge it's popularity.

-What strong GM's play this line, there record, and a link to all their games from this position.

-Other notable players that play this variation, their record, etc....

-An opening tree of variations that you can play through compiled from all the games played from the position that will tell you moves in order of popularity, scoring percentage, performance rating, etc...

-Each option from the initial position that's been played, what you should play, what strong GM's have played this line (with link to games), and typical games (with links).

-Typical plans for each variation played.

-The raw database that contains all the games that the information was compiled from.

Maybe some other stuff, but this is just what I remember off the top of my head.
  3. Joined
    29 May '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 18:33
    This will most probably be a feature in the chess website I am working on! It isn't finished, yet, but will be soon.

- Moshe
  4. Joined
    23 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 20:31
    Originally posted by moteutsch
    This will most probably be a feature in the chess website I am working on! It isn't finished, yet, but will be soon.

- Moshe
    Hmm...copyright infringement is a serious offense...

Kidding, need a hand? I was planning on developing it myself, so let me know 🙂.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree