1. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 19:02
    If you're goal is to get a playable middlegame without a lot of study, then as White I recommend the London System. You can play the moves 1 d4 2 Nf3 3 Bf4 4 e3 5 Bd3 6 O-O against virtually any Black defense. I've been winning with it since the mid-eighties, including a win against a player who out-rated me by 200 points!

It's a bit harder to find an opening "panacea" for Black, but I think I may have found it: check out http://www.beginnersgame.com/page_19.pdf

The opening is called The Center Game (not 1 e4 e5 2 d4) and can be played with White or Black. The moves (for black) are 1...a6, 2...d6, 3...e6, 4...h6, 5...Bd7, 6...Be7 (you can vary the move order as desired or as circumstances dictate). Knights usually go to f6 and c6, and Black usually attacks with ...b5 or ...g5. It looks really superficial and stupid, but I have had some success with it in blitz chess and plan to play it in slow chess, too!

Learning the opening won't cost you a dime! You can view the entire book (over 200 pages) in .pdf format at the above link.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree