1. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 21:26
    I was playing an otb match last night as black. A 'panov's little brother'. Never played against it before, but knew a bit of theory. Played a few strategical moves, and then it happened. The position caused me to need to work out tactics and my brain ran away. Suddenly I could hardly think two deep let alone as required. I took a safer option and ended up drawing (against a similar grade) but I should have been able to work out whether following the tactic was better or worse or even uncertain to a decent depth. Very frustrating. What causes this? Theories include not having played otb for 5 months, getting lazy with the anaylsis board, getting older or senility.
  2. e4
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 21:32
    Post the game.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 21:421 edit
    This may sound corny, but what and how much I eat has a dramatic effect on my ability to concentrate. I "put 2 and 2 together" after I read an aricle in Chess Life about the impact of diet on chess play, and my results have improved after started playing in tournaments slightly hungry. It's one of many reasons that I think have improved my results, but I think it is not an insignificant one.

Paul
  4. San Francisco, CA US
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 21:55
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    I was playing an otb match last night as black. A 'panov's little brother'. Never played against it before, but knew a bit of theory. Played a few strategical moves, and then it happened. The position caused me to need to work out tactics and my brain ran away. Suddenly I could hardly think two deep let alone as required. I took a safer option and ...[text shortened]... ing played otb for 5 months, getting lazy with the anaylsis board, getting older or senility.
    You were the victim of your opponent's mind-games. We have not seen this since Karpov-Korchnoi 1978.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 22:341 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    This may sound corny, but what and how much I eat has a dramatic effect on my ability to concentrate. I "put 2 and 2 together" after I read an aricle in Chess Life about the impact of diet on chess play, and my results have improved after started playing in tournaments slightly hungry. It's one of many reasons that I think have improved my results, but I think it is not an insignificant one.

Paul
    fasting has always been regarded as being conducive to aiding clarity of thought, but not so much if it leaves you craving for food and thinking of nothing else. Are you allowed to eat or drink anything during an OTB game?
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 04:34
    Generally, eating at the board is bad form, but a candy bar or light snack is usually OK if there is zero mess and it does not disturb anyone else in any way. Drinks are fine.

My change is from big breakfast to light breakfast, and from big lunch to light lunch, if there is less than two hours before the start of the next round. And caffeine is my friend!

Paul
  7. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 09:13
    we were playing eton college and they were given dinner packs, so they were munching sandwiches, crisps and drinking. We were about an hour into the game at the time though and they had finished.

Had eaten a curry before in case that helps the diaticians on the case.
  8. e4
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 12:25
    Post the game.

At the moment the thread is like something from Dietitians Weekly and
    would not look out of place on some Women's Weekly forum.

I don't think you missed a tactical trick because you failed to eat a bannana
    sandwich for breakfast.

It's most likely due to lack of OTB play but until you post the game........
  9. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 19:44
    I vote for senility! What was this about again? No, seriously it must have simply been a lack of courage. Sometimes you have to grab the bull by the tail and face the situation!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 19:47
    Generally, eating at the board is bad form, but a candy bar or light snack is usually OK if there is zero mess and it does not disturb anyone else in any way. Drinks are fine.

My change is from big breakfast to light breakfast, and from big lunch to light lunch, if there is less than two hours before the start of the next round. And caffeine is my friend!

Paul
    alright so you are allowed to drink coffee. i think it would be awesome to have ones wife on hand to serve tea.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 03:22

Paul
    Sashimi is the best brain food

Avoid coitus for 24 hours prior to competition.
  12. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 09:24
    If some one can do the PGN. Is there a help thread on how to create a pgn btw?

1.e4 c6 2. c4 d5 3.exd5 cxd5 4.d4 g6 5. Nc3 Nf6 6.Bg5 Nd7 7.Nf3 Bg7 8. cxd5 0-0 9. Q-b3 a6 10.a4 Qa5 11.B-d2 Qb6 12. Qa2 Qd6 13.a5 b5 14.g3 Bb7 15.Bf4 Qb4 16.Bd2 Qd6

Draw agreed as the bishop and queen were going to repeat moves. On move 15 I wanted to look at Bxd5 but my brain went on strike.
  13. e4
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 11:332 edits
    Think this is it. You did not say which Knight went to d7 (move 6)
    Have made it 6...Nbd7. Is that correct?

14. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 16:43
    That is correct, Thank you. Is there a thread that explains how to do a pgn or is it a secret sorcerous art?

THe game had its points of interest despite its shortness but I was very frustrated. My mind seemed to see the near infinite continuations and refused to calculate even to the very obvioulsy finite.
  15. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 20:00
    The little fish says: 16...Bh6! 17. Bxh6 Bxd5 but there is only a slight advantage. 15...Bxd5 16. Bxd6 Bxa2 17. Bb4 is about equal.

Often I find myself facing situations where some little combo will resolve the tension in a situation without giving any apparent advantage. As a practical matter I usually score better by keeping the tension and waiting for the other guy to crack. (Of course, specific moves and accurate analysis should always carry more weight.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree