1. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 09:23
    Kinda went through a purple patch where things went very well, and my ranking went up quite quickly. I was enjoying playing and coming up with solutions etc... then suddenly every game I took on started to become an endurance test. How do you play consistently and enjoy the experience?
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 09:38
    Originally posted by 29inchlegs
    Kinda went through a purple patch where things went very well, and my ranking went up quite quickly. I was enjoying playing and coming up with solutions etc... then suddenly every game I took on started to become an endurance test. How do you play consistently and enjoy the experience?
    You don't. Like everything else in life you will have patches where everything is good and exciting but also patches where it is a chore and less fun than sandpapering your eyeballs.
  3. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 09:40
    I dont actually mind sandpapering my eyeballs. But thanks for the encouragement.
  4. Big D
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 15:57
    You need to have a second hobby and concentrate on it for awhile. In my younger days, whenever I "hit the wall" in chess, I could happily spend more time on soccer. Then, when I got bored with that, I'd always return to chess. I found the two were very complimentary. Now, since I've hung up my cleats, whenever I get bored with chess, I spend more time cooking or with my two dogs.
  5. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 16:12
    try Go. It is nice...and it is nice to be a very beginner and to improve so fast. Aftter 2 monthes of Go I have returned to chess with better will and strength.
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 16:17
    I have the same problem. Any other hobby will do. During the summer I play tennis, during the winter I fire up a video game and try not to get timed out.
  7. Rural Ontario
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 16:26
    I'm in the middle of a "sandpaper" phase right now. I suggest a couple of weeks off and a good book.
  8. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 14:48
    Thanks for that. Unfortunately Ive too many hobbies, one of which is drinking wine. There seems to be a direct corelation between my dramatic dips in form and my consumption of the bad stuff. Ill have to get myself a dog so.
  9. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 15:11
    Thanks for that. Unfortunately Ive too many hobbies, one of which is drinking wine. There seems to be a direct corelation between my dramatic dips in form and my consumption of the bad stuff. Ill have to get myself a dog so.
    Start buying the good stuff then =)
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 15:19
    I don't. I stopped trying so hard.
  11. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 15:31
    Yea the emergence of discount super store like Lidl and Aldi has contributed greatly to the lowering of my standards in that department

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree