Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 31 May '10 21:59
    I had been waiting for my opponent to move for what seemed like a long time. Then I went into my games and it said I was the one who lost on time?! This can't be real? Is there some point that it shows when the game was "concluded" or when the last move was made?

    Question about the game....http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=7241087&cbqsid=7189

    Draw or no? (I have to go. But, I thought I had a draw.)
  2. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    31 May '10 22:53
    I don't know when the game finished, but your position was lost anyway, so don't take it too hard. If it were a light-squared bishop, you could have drawn, but in this case you couldn't have.
  3. 31 May '10 23:16
    To re-activate games you have lost on time go here.

    http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=1
  4. 01 Jun '10 01:51
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    I don't know when the game finished, but your position was lost anyway, so don't take it too hard. If it were a light-squared bishop, you could have drawn, but in this case you couldn't have.
    I do realize if I drop my two pawns(without getting his) it is lost. But, that is much harder than it seems...if the king approaches the pawns then the e pawn pushes and the bishop would have to be the one to stop the e pawn(otherwise if the king moves to protect against the passed pawns then there can be no progress made with the doubled h pawns). once the bishop takes the pawn on e8 h6 falls and with it the h5 pawn. I am sure that all made no sense to anyone (maybe even including myself). But, I don't know how to use the fen or pgn on here. I really am 90 percent certain that this is in fact a drawn game
  5. 01 Jun '10 01:52
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    To re-activate games you have lost on time go here.

    http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=1
    I am confused it is not christmas and I did not get a gift either
  6. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    01 Jun '10 02:28
    Originally posted by erikido
    I do realize if I drop my two pawns(without getting his) it is lost. But, that is much harder than it seems...if the king approaches the pawns then the e pawn pushes and the bishop would have to be the one to stop the e pawn(otherwise if the king moves to protect against the passed pawns then there can be no progress made with the doubled h pawns). once th ...[text shortened]... o use the fen or pgn on here. I really am 90 percent certain that this is in fact a drawn game
    White wins; eg.

    58...Kh7
    59.Bf4....Kg8
    60.Kg5...Kh7
    61.Be5...d3
    62.Bf4....Kg8
    63.Kg6...Kh8
    64.h7.....d2
    65.Be5#

    If the pawns make a run for it at any point, they are just gobbled up by the bishop or king.

    Another possible line in case the e pawn push:

    58......Kh7
    59.Bc1...e3
    60.Kg5...e2
    61.Bd2...d3
    62.Be1...Kg8
    63.Kg6...Kh8 or the pawn queens
    64.Bc3+...Kg8
    65.Bg7 and mate next move.
  7. 01 Jun '10 02:45
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    White wins; eg.

    58...Kh7
    59.Bf4....Kg8
    60.Kg5...Kh7
    61.Be5...d3
    62.Bf4....Kg8
    63.Kg6...Kh8
    64.h7.....d2
    65.Be5#

    If the pawns make a run for it at any point, they are just gobbled up by the bishop or king.

    Another possible line in case the e pawn push:

    58......Kh7
    59.Bc1...e3
    60.Kg5...e2
    61.Bd2...d3
    62.Be1...Kg8
    63.Kg6...Kh8 or the pawn queens
    64.Bc3+...Kg8
    65.Bg7 and mate next move.
    okay.I missed the mating threat- thought that g6 square was under control. thanks for that.

    whether my 1600 rated opponent would have found that though is another story. I don't mind losing a game and I don't mind losing on time...But, after waiting about 4 days for my opponenet to move and then "timing out" in less than 24 hours is quite frustrating.
  8. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    01 Jun '10 02:54
    Yes, I know. I don't know what could have happened. What was the time control?
  9. 01 Jun '10 02:58
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Yes, I know. I don't know what could have happened. What was the time control?
    I remembered it as being 3days per move. But it shows the last move as may 30th 21:30 and when I checked it was about 3 pm so about 16 hours total
  10. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    01 Jun '10 03:52
    Here's what probably happened:

    It was a 1/7 game. Your timebank had already expired, or was about to, and you opponent still had 3 days or so left. That's why he was able to go for 3 or 4 days without moving. Since your timebank had already expired, you only had 24 hours from when he moved, and you evidently didn't move within that time control. I know it was 1/7 from the game info.
  11. 01 Jun '10 20:17
    but like I said it was 21:30 on may 30th last move and I got back on the next day at before 1500. Anyways, thanks for the help