Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 18 Sep '13 10:23 / 1 edit
    Recently I have been trying out the dragondorf sicilian against 1.e4.
    I played the following game at chess.com, blitz 10 mins each.

  2. 18 Sep '13 10:29 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by Tygert
    Recently I have been trying out the dragondorf sicilian against 1.e4.
    I played the following game at chess.com, blitz 10 mins each.

    [pgn]
    [Event "Blitz Chess"]
    [Site "Chess.com"]
    [Date "2013.9.18"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "?"]
    [Black "?"]
    [Result "*"]
    1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bc4 a6 5.d4 cxd4 6.Nxd4 b5 7.Bb3 g6 8.a3 Bb7 9.Qf3 Bg7 10.Bg5 Nbd7 11.Nd5 ...[text shortened]... 34.Rd1 Re2+ 35.Kg1 Be3+ 36.Bxe3 Rxe3 37.Rd2 Rce8 38.Rf2 Re1+ 39.Kg2 R8e2 0-1[/pgn]
    not bad Gertrude, but dig this,



    All hail robbie da dragon master! coming through baby, coming through. . . .
  3. 18 Sep '13 10:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    not bad grassbert, but dig this,

    [pgn][Event "Live Chess"] [Site "Chess.com"] [Date "2013.03.05"] [Round "-"] [White "misterbean"] [Black "robbie_1969"] [Result "0-1"] [Termination "robbie_1969 won by resignation"] 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 { Beginning of the Dragon } 6.Be2 { I am not sure of this move, it looks like old sch ...[text shortened]...

    All hail robbie da dragon master! coming through baby, coming through. . . .
    Yes it is a beautiful game, a perfect example of the Dragondorf. I like delaying castling as the Yugoslav dark squared bishop can be a pain on h6.
  4. 18 Sep '13 10:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Tygert
    Yes it is a beautiful game, a perfect example of the Dragondorf. I like delaying castling as the Yugoslav dark squared bishop can be a pain on h6.
    Yes indeed, its a good system to play against the Yugoslav, white attacks the Kigside and what, no King, ok, seeing that you are also a dragon master, we should put aside our differences and be friends!
  5. 18 Sep '13 10:39
    here is another game i played against Hertz van Rental on this site

  6. 18 Sep '13 11:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes indeed, its a good system to play against the Yugoslav, white attacks the Kigside and what, no King, ok, seeing that you are also a dragon master, we should put aside our differences and be friends!
    Yes I agree, I'm tired of pointless bickering on the spirituality forum.
    BTW your results with the black pieces are simply amazing!
  7. 18 Sep '13 11:17
    Originally posted by Tygert
    Yes I agree, I'm tired of pointless bickering on the spirituality forum.
    BTW your results with the black pieces are simply amazing!
    Actually its entirely misleading, I play players who are my friends and who are much much lower rated than me, almost always with the black pieces, I get beat up with black all the time against players of a similar rating.
  8. 18 Sep '13 11:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    here is another game i played against Hertz van Rental on this site

    [pgn][Date "2013.01.06"] [Round "-"] [White "Hertz van Rental"] [Black "robbie carrobie"] [Result "0-1"] [BlackElo "1863"] [WhiteElo "1843"] [Blackrating "1863"] [Enddate "2013.02.16"] [Whiterating "1843"] 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 { Looks like a main line Dr ...[text shortened]... , all in all a very rich game tactically and enjoyable to play. } 0-1[/pgn]
    When I play the Yugoslav I prefer to play the 9.O-O-O variation instead of Bc4, the bishop can easily be harassed by the c6 knight moving to a5 and black's b-pawn.
  9. 18 Sep '13 11:52
    Originally posted by Tygert
    When I play the Yugoslav I prefer to play the 9.O-O-O variation instead of Bc4, the bishop can easily be harassed by the c6 knight moving to a5 and black's b-pawn.
    yes it can, if you are playing the dragondorf, you need to be careful about b5, white can simply undermine it with a4, but if there is a bishop on c4 it usually comes with tempo. I always wondered what would happen if white tried a piece sacrifice on b5. Here is a video i made of the dragondorf, I hope you can understand my accent

    YouTube&list=TL53NI_c19vtg
  10. 18 Sep '13 12:11
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes it can, if you are playing the dragondorf, you need to be careful about b5, white can simply undermine it with a4, but if there is a bishop on c4 it usually comes with tempo. I always wondered what would happen if white tried a piece sacrifice on b5. Here is a video i made of the dragondorf, I hope you can understand my accent

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0dvsmh4B0M&list=TL53NI_c19vtg
    I have looked at the b5 sac, might be sound. White could castle kingside, get his king rook to b1 and push the passed pawns. He could probably force black to give up one of his minor pieces and then have an advantage. On the video, I think it's great! I like that someone has finally done a good tutorial on this good opening, I feel like it's the best response to the Yugoslav attack because every time I play the dragon the fianchettoed setup gets destroyed by white's kingside pawns and dark squared bishop.

    By the way, your accent isn't too incomprehensible...
  11. Standard member black beetle
    Black Beastie
    18 Sep '13 12:33
    Originally posted by Tygert
    Recently I have been trying out the dragondorf sicilian against 1.e4.
    I played the following game at chess.com, blitz 10 mins each.

    [pgn]
    [Event "Blitz Chess"]
    [Site "Chess.com"]
    [Date "2013.9.18"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "?"]
    [Black "?"]
    [Result "*"]
    1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 { Standard open sicilian. } 3.Nc3 { Don't know this variation, they normally play d4 ...[text shortened]... .Rd1 Re2+ 35.Kg1 Be3+ 36.Bxe3 Rxe3 37.Rd2 Rce8 38.Rf2 Re1+ 39.Kg2 R8e2 0-1[/pgn]
    Well, 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 (3.d4 is tricky/ 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d3 Nc6 5.c3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.0-0-0 8.Re1 b6 9.Nbd2 Ba6 10.Nf1 Ne5 11.Bc2 Qc7 12.h3 e6 etc/ 3.c3 Nf6 4.Bd3 or 4.Be2 or 4.h3) 3.Nc3 Nf6 and then, if not 4.d4 cxd4 with the transposition you mentioned, follows 5.e5 dxe5 5.Nxe5 Nbd7 -and now 6.Bb5 or 6.d4 or 6.Nc4, all Anti-Open systems. 3.Bc4 gives the Black good defence thanks to ...Bg7, whilst after 3.c3 and 3.Nc3 the Black is OK
  12. 18 Sep '13 13:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Actually its entirely misleading, I play players who are my friends and who are much much lower rated than me, almost always with the black pieces, I get beat up with black all the time against players of a similar rating.
    Oh well that explains it!
  13. 18 Sep '13 13:53
    Hey Robbie, do you want to play two set piece games of the Yugoslav attack?
  14. 18 Sep '13 14:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0dvsmh4B0M&list=TL53NI_c19vtg
    Nice video and channel - glad you plugged yourself, Robbie
  15. 18 Sep '13 18:59
    Originally posted by Murchu
    Nice video and channel - glad you plugged yourself, Robbie
    thanks, check out my friend NM Rene Phillips at the chess gym, probably the most compelling commentator ive heard on a chess video, it was him who inspired me to study chess.