1. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    14 Dec '11 19:561 edit
    I would look here -

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Goldman-Sachs-Salaries-E2800.htm

I would guess that a junior guy is making 100k plus up to 100k in bonus. GS has a very small % of guys who make a big chunk- like in their distressed assets group for example. I seem to recall that last year that guy made 240mil bonus or something. McShane will never be that guy I would guess.
  2. San Francisco, CA US
    Moves
    15 Dec '11 01:00
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I would look here -

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Goldman-Sachs-Salaries-E2800.htm

I would guess that a junior guy is making 100k plus up to 100k in bonus. GS has a very small % of guys who make a big chunk- like in their distressed assets group for example. I seem to recall that last year that guy made 240mil bonus or something. McShane will never be that guy I would guess.
    Managing Directors earn a base of $500,000 USD. This year 261 individuals were elevated to that rank. That's not the top rank. A 'partner managing director" is the publicly-owned Goldman Sachs equivalent of what used to be simply "Partner" before GS went public (sort-of).

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/11/18/goldman-names-managing-directors/
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    15 Dec '11 12:07
    Good luck getting to Managing Director at Goldman- it would be far easier to make law partner at a top international law firm. 🙂
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    15 Dec '11 16:40
    dudes. more chess, less speculation on how much the Great Satan pays for chewing its way through expendable gamblers.

I've also been impressed by how well luke's been doing lately like everybody else. looks like he might be punching through right now. I mean, if he can sustain this level of play, he's already made it to the top. the ratings will catch up soon enough, that's just a matter of time.

then again, he'll be taken much more seriously by the big boys from now on, so it'll all get more difficult as well.
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    15 Dec '11 18:31
    Originally posted by wormwood
    dudes. more chess, less speculation on how much the Great Satan pays for chewing its way through expendable gamblers.

I've also been impressed by how well luke's been doing lately like everybody else. looks like he might be punching through right now. I mean, if he can sustain this level of play, he's already made it to the top. the ratings will catch ...[text shortened]... much more seriously by the big boys from now on, so it'll all get more difficult as well.
    I don't think you will see McShane play again.
  6. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Moves
    15 Dec '11 21:33
    As you could see from my bio for more than a year now, I'm a big fan of Luke's, and it pains me a bit that he doesn't play professionally, but looking at it like he might, you get yourself set up in your profession of choice first; then you dabble.

We may indeed not see him ever again, but if we do, it might not be for a while - or maybe just till London Classic 2012 😉 He is, after all, a crowd favorite, and director Malcolm Pein knows that.

Also I should mention, for those not aware of him earlier, that he had somewhat mixed results on the circuit for several months or so earlier in the year. That is, he didn't always crush the non-elite players. I think he really gets up for the London Classic. He prepared for it well. That said, no amount of preparation will give you the strength to beat Magnus Carlsen (London 2010) or put him on the ropes (London 2011). Few people in the world can do that.

One of those few others - and hovering right around Luke's new rating - is the young Frenchman, Max Vachier-Lagrave, another bloke I have been following closely.
    Both Luke and Max are tremendously talented.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 01:31
    Originally posted by joesheppe
    As you could see from my bio for more than a year now, I'm a big fan of Luke's, and it pains me a bit that he doesn't play professionally, but looking at it like he might, you get yourself set up in your profession of choice first; then you dabble.

We may indeed not see him ever again, but if we do, it might not be for a while - or maybe just till Lond ...[text shortened]... nother bloke I have been following closely.
    Both Luke and Max are tremendously talented.
    Wonder what his new rating will be, his performance rating was well into the 2800's.
  8. Joined
    30 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 13:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Wonder what his new rating will be, his performance rating was well into the 2800's.
    He took over Nigel Short to become England's number two player.
    I looked it up but forgot already, think it is about 2690 now

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree