1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 02:17
    July 31. Anybody following the Biel Chess Festival? Magnus Carlsen (16 years old) just whipped Morozevich (29) in the black side of a Sicilian, leaving Carlsen 1/2 pt behind Morozevich, the leader. Check out the game. I believe Morozevich dropped the game on the 27th move after having an overwhelming position over the young Magnus. The boy shows the one characteristic of a future world champion: he's a vicious infighter. When all the opening theory is cast aside, raw combinative ability comes to fore in the middle game and that's where Carlsen tears up his seniors. He's still slightly behind world leaders in strategic concept, but his opponents have to watch themselves every step of the way. Morozovich made one inexact move and paid dearly for it.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 02:49
    Originally posted by buddy2
    July 31. Anybody following the Biel Chess Festival? Magnus Carlsen (16 years old) just whipped Morozevich (29) in the black side of a Sicilian, leaving Carlsen 1/2 pt behind Morozevich, the leader. Check out the game. I believe Morozevich dropped the game on the 27th move after having an overwhelming position over the young Magnus. The boy shows the one ...[text shortened]... h themselves every step of the way. Morozovich made one inexact move and paid dearly for it.
    Ok, I just checked it out on PC. Wow, awesome game, I agree move 27 gives Magnus the edge by trading his queen for a rook, piece, and pawn. Very impressive.
  3. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 03:152 edits
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Ok, I just checked it out on PC. Wow, awesome game, I agree move 27 gives Magnus the edge by trading his queen for a rook, piece, and pawn. Very impressive.
    Yeah, 27. Bg7? seems to have been the decisive mistake. Instead, my silicon friends give
    27. b4 Bb6
    28. Qe2 (~ +2.0) attacking the bishop which 27. Bg7 allowed Magnus to move.
  4. washington
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 03:53
    i dont get how masters make the game so difficult and complex. when i play a game either it gets closed or opened and there are no pawns flying everywhere and knights and bishops trying to make passed pawns in the 16th move and whatnot.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 09:19
    I watched it on FICS yesterday, what a comeback. before 27th move carlsen didn't have much anything, but the complications paid off and moro missed a move. and after that, moro showed that he's not a big believer in resignations either. 🙂 something to think about for all those who resign easily.

it's amazing how strong carlsen has become in so little time, from 2064 to 2675 in five years, and he shows no signs of stopping.
    http://www.fide.com/ratings/id.phtml?event=1503014
  6. The sky
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 11:132 edits
    He also won his other game against Morozevich. Here are all his games so far in Biel: http://home.online.no/~eirikgu/partier/biel2006.htm
    And live games: http://chess.redmouse.ch/tfd.htm
    Today he'll have white against Radjabov.

By the way, he isn't 16 yet, he'll turn 16 in November.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 20:50
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    He also won his other game against Morozevich. Here are all his games so far in Biel: http://home.online.no/~eirikgu/partier/biel2006.htm
    And live games: http://chess.redmouse.ch/tfd.htm
    Today he'll have white against Radjabov.

By the way, he isn't 16 yet, he'll turn 16 in November.
    Wow, he could be playing for the World Championship before he's even an adult if he keeps playing so well 🙂.
  8. The sky
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 21:34
    Wow, he could be playing for the World Championship before he's even an adult if he keeps playing so well 🙂.
    He is a candidate. He'll play Aronian this autumn. I doubt he'll make it this time, but it's amazing that he got so far.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 21:34
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    He is a candidate. He'll play Aronian this autumn. I doubt he'll make it this time, but it's amazing that he got so far.
    Did you see Moro's game today? It looked pretty interesting, but I only looked at it for a short time.
  10. The sky
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 21:55
    Did you see Moro's game today? It looked pretty interesting, but I only looked at it for a short time.
    I didn't really look properly at any of the games today. So far he has won all his games apart from those against Magnus!
  11. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 08:14
    A good game indeed. Many kibitzers thought he mis-placed his bishop at move 43:

Moro played Bc5!, and not the expected Bd6+ that would have led to K+R+3p vs. K+Q+2p. He obviously wanted to avoid white setting up a 'fortress' with his rook on the third row. He won the game in technically strong fashion after that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree