1. e4
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 16:04

Magnus Carlsen vs Ernesto Inarkiev (Black to play)

At this point, Inarkiev played the illegal 27...Ne3+. While Magnus might have won instantly
    by claiming the illegal move, instead he instinctively moved his king out
    of danger with 28.Kd3.

At this point Inarkiev stopped the clocks and claimed victory on the basis that Magnus made an illegal move.

The arbiter at first awarded Inarkiev the win, but upon reconsideration declared that the position be reset to how it
    appeared before the illegal unclaimed move (i.e. the position after 27.Rxb7) and play should resume from that point.

Inarkiev refused to play and Magnus was awarded the win.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 16:18
    quote::
    After Inarkiev made his illegal move the position was illegal because his king was in check and it was not his turn. After Carlsen made his (perfectly legal) move the position was legal again because Inarkiev was in check and it was Inarkiev's turn. Inarkiev was wrong to stop the clocks and claim an illegal move. The first arbiter made a mistake. Presumably Inarkiev said that Carlsen had made an illegal move and the arbiter took his word for it without checking - very unprofessional.

Article 7.5.1 defines when an illegal move has been completed (different from "made"😉 and what should happen next in standard play games -
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 16:252 edits
    this is not a quote, but my own:

The crucial question here is - does the player lose right to claim victory on the ground of illegal move if he doesn't see it?

(Like threefold repetition, if you don't claim it right away, the train is gone!)

If Carslen was too late, then we have both an ethical question and another rules related question:
    - does Inarkev have moral right, that is, is it fair play from him to demand point after he himself made a mistake which could have cost him a point?

and

- does he have right to claim the point after Carlsen moved his King away?!
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 02:00
    So he knowingly plays an illegal move,
    then tries to claim a win on the basis of an illegal move being played....

Ernesto deserves to lose not only the game,
    but lose his chess playing privileges altogether!
  5. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 03:27
    I just hope the rule wasn't changed to suit Carlsen
  6. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 05:54
    I obviously am no expert but to me the situation seems as follows:
    1. Illegal move from Inarkiev.
    2. Carlsen can win by claiming it, but (instinctually or otherwise) moves his king out of danger instead.
    3. Inarkiev claims that Carlsen has then made an illegal move, and claims he (Inarkiev) deserves a full point.

In this situation, IMO Carlsen missed the opportunity to claim illegal move (but made a legal move) so the game should either proceed after 28. Kd3 or be brought back to before 27…Ne3+.
    I'm not sure what the protocol is exactly, but assuming "position is legal" == "legal move," then game should resume after 28. Kd3, since the game is once again legal.
    Inarkiev seems clearly in the wrong, particularly as he's losing and (I'm assuming, given that he later refused to play) intentionally played out this sequence of events to try and secure a win.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 21:30
    This is the first I've heard of this Inarkiev fellow. He sounds a bit slimy. I can't believe this dirty trick almost worked.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 09:352 edits
    Originally posted by @greenpawn34

[fen]1r2r3/1R3ppp/1k6/1B1n4/8/2P2P2/2K3PP/1R6 b - - 0 27[/fen]

At this point, Inarkiev played the illegal 27...Ne3+. While Magnus might have won instantly
    of danger with 28.Kd3.

At this point Inarkiev stopp ...[text shortened]... ld resume from that point.

I assume this was a blitz game? Inarkiev's position looks pretty dire, 27. ... Ka5 28. Ra1#, 27. ... Kc5 28. Bxe8 leaving Carlsen an exchange ahead, and taking the rook with either 27. ... Kxb7 or 27. ... Rxb7 allows Carlson to swap down to a bishop vs knight ending a couple of pawns ahead (the bishop can grab the f pawn after taking on e8). So trying it on seems to have been his best chance.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 12:21
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    I assume this was a blitz game? Inarkiev's position looks pretty dire, 27. ... Ka5 28. Ra1#, 27. ... Kc5 28. Bxe8 leaving Carlsen an exchange ahead, and taking the rook with either 27. ... Kxb7 or 27. ... Rxb7 allows Carlson to swap down to a bishop vs knight ending a couple of pawns ahead (the bishop can grab the f pawn after taking on e8). So trying it on seems to have been his best chance.
    He is one of those Kas called 'enthusiastic amateurs' with a sub 2700 rating, only a mere 2684"😉
  10. e4
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 13:32
    Hi Deep Thought.

Heat of the moment 'try on'. I've seen the most placid of people get all
    het up at blitz. He just chose the wrong player. If it had been a 2600 player
    it would have blown over. The arbiters original decision also helped blow this up.
  11. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    08 Jan '18 13:19
    The Chief Arbiter's interview.

YouTube

He confirms his decision was based on Carlsen's move being legal and the relevant section is A.4.2 of the FIDE Arbiter's Manual.

http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stories/downloads/2017/Arbiters-Manual-2017-v0.pdf
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Jan '18 01:02
    Originally posted by @greenpawn34

[fen]1r2r3/1R3ppp/1k6/1B1n4/8/2P2P2/2K3PP/1R6 b - - 0 27[/fen]

of danger with 28.Kd3.

At this point Inarkiev stopp ...[text shortened]... ld resume from that point.

This seems to be the correct decision on the arbiters part. It was silly that Inarkiev should argue that he won after making an illegal move himself.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 21:10
    Originally posted by @mchill
    This seems to be the correct decision on the arbiters part. It was silly that Inarkiev should argue that he won after making an illegal move himself.
    One thing for sure. It will be a long time before Ernie gets to play Maggy again🙂 I don't think Carlsen will be sending him christmas cards🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree