Magnus

Magnus

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Dec 12
1 edit

http://www.examiner.com/article/magnus-carlsen-at-record-high-2861-rating

Even higher than the 2857 we saw just a couple of weeks ago. This time it is official.

Getting seriously high even considering inflation.

k
Mr Ring Rusty

Wales

Moves
16 Dec 12

Succinct and very much to the point..! ;-)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Dec 12

Originally posted by kingshill
Succinct and very much to the point..! ;-)
Hit the wrong button🙂

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
16 Dec 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
Hit the wrong button🙂
No it is this one! 😉

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Dec 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
No it is this one! 😉
As it turns out.

CE

Moves
21 Dec 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
http://www.examiner.com/article/magnus-carlsen-at-record-high-2861-rating

Even higher than the 2857 we saw just a couple of weeks ago. This time it is official.

Getting seriously high even considering inflation.
I'll give you credit for understanding the inflation dynamic at work here. And yes, it is still extremely impressive. But it is not, however, a true surmounting of Garik Weinstein's rating, in the real sense of ratings being a relative measure of your performance compared to other contemporary players.

To the credit of Magnus, however, it is harder to get a leg up on the competition due to the universal accessibility of theory thanks to the internet age. In Fischer's time, hard work, dedication, and a phenomenal memory could produce a massive advantage right out of the opening. This has been mitigated somewhat due to computers and databases.

H

Moves
22 Dec 12

Really? Would've thought that with. So much theory to learn memory becomes more important? You are probably right as older players would have an advantage on that basis, I just don't understand it

T
I am become Death

Moves
23 Dec 12

1 Carlsen, Magnus NOR 2848
2 Aronian, Levon ARM 2815

Let's hop in the way-back machine:

1. Fischer, Robert USA 2785
2. Spassky, Boris USSR 2670

Carlsen is good, but despite the fact he has the highest rating ever, he still is a long way from dominating the elite field the way that Bobby did. Not taking away from what he's done, but there are plenty of players in the top 10 that can win the odd game from Magnus.

When Fischer was on fire, no one stood a chance.

w

Moves
24 Dec 12

Originally posted by Thabtos

Carlsen is good, but despite the fact he has the highest rating ever, he still is a long way from dominating the elite field the way that Bobby did. Not taking away from what he's done, but there are plenty of players in the top 10 that can win the odd game from Magnus.

When Fischer was on fire, no one stood a chance.
Well I thought Carlsen's performance in the London Chess Classic was really Fischer-like. No one stood a chance against Magnus in London neither.

Was is amazing with Carlsen is that he has yet to become world champion. What his rating will be then ?

P

Moves
24 Dec 12
7 edits

Originally posted by w0lver1ne
Well I thought Carlsen's performance in the London Chess Classic was really Fischer-like. No one stood a chance against Magnus in London neither.

Was is amazing with Carlsen is that he has yet to become world champion. What his rating will be then ?
Kramnik had a good chances to take the 1st place too. And he would take it if he won Magnus (who had to fight for draw in their game). Also Magnus had a bad position vs Adams too.

Also London chess classics is far from being called the strongest tournament. Players like Jones, Polgar, McShane and Adams are no doubt strong GMs, but they are not elite at the moment.

Carlsen`s result in London can`t be compared with Karpov`s triumph in Linares 1994 for example.

t

Moves
24 Dec 12

Originally posted by w0lver1ne

With Vishy's rating falling from poor tournament results I think Magnus' rating would take a big hit in any kind of match with him.

AL

Moves
31 Dec 12

AL

Moves
31 Dec 12