Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 15 Nov '06 19:10
    Remember those days when you were a wee lad and had to take music and drama in elementary?

What if chess was a mandatory class also? How would you feel? Would you do better in school because of this(learn faster)?

I know a lot of elementary schools in my city are offering chess class at lunch or after school. It's a big thing in school now.

I've heard rumours that music is out and chess is in and it's mandatory in some school in US.

Feedback/ thoughts?
  2. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    15 Nov '06 19:20
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Remember those days when you were a wee lad and had to take music and drama in elementary?

What if chess was a mandatory class also? How would you feel? Would you do better in school because of this(learn faster)?

I know a lot of elementary schools in my city are offering chess class at lunch or after school. It's a big thing in school now.

I've hear ...[text shortened]... music is out and chess is in and it's mandatory in some school in US.

Feedback/ thoughts?
    I really wish i'd been taught chess as a kid. I was taught the moves as a boy but that was it. I didn't take it up till i was 23. I'd really love to see chess in schools. I have found my desire to learn things in general has blossomed since i started playing. In my opinion school should be there specifically for this purpose. We no longer live in a world where you can get by on a few skills you learned in high school, life is a constant learning process more now than ever and chess is an excellent way to develop this attitude in young people.

That said, music is also a brilliant tool for the same purpose, young people need to be exposed to both if possible.
  3. Standard member Keltamaksa
    Juuso
    15 Nov '06 19:31
    The obvious downside is that some kids would actually grow up to hate chess. I prefer people having a positive attitude towards the game, even if it means fewer players.
  4. Donation briancron
    nunquam perdo
    15 Nov '06 19:36
    Originally posted by Keltamaksa
    The obvious downside is that some kids would actually grow up to hate chess. I prefer people having a positive attitude towards the game, even if it means fewer players.
    right, because noone has a positive attitude toward math, science, english, history or music. [/sarcasm]
  5. 15 Nov '06 19:38
    Originally posted by Keltamaksa
    That's true but at least they know about the game.

A lot of people don't know about chess and if they knew how to play, they would enjoy it.

Yes some would hate it, but I think overall there would be more people who enjoy it since it would be available to more kids.
  6. 15 Nov '06 20:19
    Would also help to de-nerd it. I got a lot of stick at school for playing chess at lunch instead of football with the other thugs.
  7. 15 Nov '06 20:23
    Originally posted by Tengu
    Would also help to de-nerd it. I got a lot of stick at school for playing chess at lunch instead of football with the other thugs.
    So did I until I beat them all up.
  8. 15 Nov '06 22:50
    Well, its been a part of Russian schools for a long time ..
    It would be nice if it was taught as a part of art class in Primary school (or at least optional in the syllabus) .. I wouldn't want to lose music for it though. Music is far more important and fundamental to human beings than chess (prepares flame retardant body suit)
  9. 15 Nov '06 22:59
    http://chess.about.com/library/weekly/aa05a08a.htm

Here's is some more info.

I'm thinking about writing my paper on this topic. We can write about anything and it only has to be 2 pages. Seems like a good topic to me.
  10. 15 Nov '06 23:00
    I see music and chess as equally important. I just see more benefit in playing chess.
  11. 15 Nov '06 23:16

I've hear ...[text shortened]... music is out and chess is in and it's mandatory in some school in US.

Feedback/ thoughts?
    Certainly chess is cheaper to teach than music, so I'm not surprised schools would go for it!

When I was at primary school we were taught chess. The top class had one session a week where there was a choice of chess or needlework. We had a very strong school chess team.
  12. 15 Nov '06 23:20 / 1 edit
    Do you think kids learn easier if they are taught chess at a young age?

I think so but I think it applies to some other games (logical onces) also besides chess.
  13. 16 Nov '06 00:25
    Do you think kids learn easier if they are taught chess at a young age?

I think so but I think it applies to some other games (logical onces) also besides chess.
    It applies to everything. Children's learning pattern fundamentally changes at around age 8. If you want to teach a kid something, teach em before their 8th birthday
  14. 16 Nov '06 00:38
    Originally posted by Panic123
    I see music and chess as equally important. I just see more benefit in playing chess.
    Music is fundamental to human expression, we are born with an innate appreciation for it and predaliction for making it. When I say music, i'm not talking Bach or BeastMetal, a piano or a bass guitar. I'm talking about the human response to cadence and rhythm.

Chess on the other hand is a fine art. You need to be taught to appreciate it. People vary according to taste as to which fine art they go in for, trust me though, every 4 year old loves music. I think nurturing these basic human drives is more important than refining ones taste to a particular fine art.
  15. 16 Nov '06 00:40
    I would like it but I'm a Junior now so I hardly care