1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 19:10
    Remember those days when you were a wee lad and had to take music and drama in elementary?

What if chess was a mandatory class also? How would you feel? Would you do better in school because of this(learn faster)?

I know a lot of elementary schools in my city are offering chess class at lunch or after school. It's a big thing in school now.

I've heard rumours that music is out and chess is in and it's mandatory in some school in US.

Feedback/ thoughts?
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 19:20
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Remember those days when you were a wee lad and had to take music and drama in elementary?

What if chess was a mandatory class also? How would you feel? Would you do better in school because of this(learn faster)?

I know a lot of elementary schools in my city are offering chess class at lunch or after school. It's a big thing in school now.

I've hear ...[text shortened]... music is out and chess is in and it's mandatory in some school in US.

Feedback/ thoughts?
    I really wish i'd been taught chess as a kid. I was taught the moves as a boy but that was it. I didn't take it up till i was 23. I'd really love to see chess in schools. I have found my desire to learn things in general has blossomed since i started playing. In my opinion school should be there specifically for this purpose. We no longer live in a world where you can get by on a few skills you learned in high school, life is a constant learning process more now than ever and chess is an excellent way to develop this attitude in young people. 🙂

That said, music is also a brilliant tool for the same purpose, young people need to be exposed to both if possible.
  3. Under the North Star
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 19:31
    The obvious downside is that some kids would actually grow up to hate chess. I prefer people having a positive attitude towards the game, even if it means fewer players.
  4. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 19:36
    Originally posted by Keltamaksa
    The obvious downside is that some kids would actually grow up to hate chess. I prefer people having a positive attitude towards the game, even if it means fewer players.
    right, because noone has a positive attitude toward math, science, english, history or music. [/sarcasm]
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 19:38
    Originally posted by Keltamaksa
    That's true but at least they know about the game.

A lot of people don't know about chess and if they knew how to play, they would enjoy it.

Yes some would hate it, but I think overall there would be more people who enjoy it since it would be available to more kids.
  6. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 20:19
    Would also help to de-nerd it. I got a lot of stick at school for playing chess at lunch instead of football with the other thugs.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 20:23
    Originally posted by Tengu
    Would also help to de-nerd it. I got a lot of stick at school for playing chess at lunch instead of football with the other thugs.
    So did I until I beat them all up.
  8. Sydney
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 22:50
    Well, its been a part of Russian schools for a long time ..
    It would be nice if it was taught as a part of art class in Primary school (or at least optional in the syllabus) .. I wouldn't want to lose music for it though. Music is far more important and fundamental to human beings than chess (prepares flame retardant body suit)
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 22:59
    http://chess.about.com/library/weekly/aa05a08a.htm

Here's is some more info.

I'm thinking about writing my paper on this topic. We can write about anything and it only has to be 2 pages. Seems like a good topic to me.
  10. Charlotte, NC
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 23:00
    I see music and chess as equally important. I just see more benefit in playing chess.
  11. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 23:16

I've hear ...[text shortened]... music is out and chess is in and it's mandatory in some school in US.

Feedback/ thoughts?
    Certainly chess is cheaper to teach than music, so I'm not surprised schools would go for it!

When I was at primary school we were taught chess. The top class had one session a week where there was a choice of chess or needlework. We had a very strong school chess team.
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 23:201 edit
    Do you think kids learn easier if they are taught chess at a young age?

I think so but I think it applies to some other games (logical onces) also besides chess.
  13. Sydney
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 00:25
    Do you think kids learn easier if they are taught chess at a young age?

I think so but I think it applies to some other games (logical onces) also besides chess.
    It applies to everything. Children's learning pattern fundamentally changes at around age 8. If you want to teach a kid something, teach em before their 8th birthday 😉
  14. Sydney
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 00:38
    Originally posted by Panic123
    I see music and chess as equally important. I just see more benefit in playing chess.
    Music is fundamental to human expression, we are born with an innate appreciation for it and predaliction for making it. When I say music, i'm not talking Bach or BeastMetal, a piano or a bass guitar. I'm talking about the human response to cadence and rhythm.

Chess on the other hand is a fine art. You need to be taught to appreciate it. People vary according to taste as to which fine art they go in for, trust me though, every 4 year old loves music. I think nurturing these basic human drives is more important than refining ones taste to a particular fine art.
  15. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 00:40
    I would like it but I'm a Junior now so I hardly care

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree