1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:40
    I don't think they should get rid of music and replace it with chess. That is just a rumour I heard and after all, chess is less expensive then music.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 05:30
    A great discussion topic! As long as you're asking for comments from the peanut gallery, here's my two cents:

While I'm not very musically inclined, I'd hate to see chess replace music in schools. But I would like to see more chess in schools - but only on a voluntary basis. A recent research paper that I read recommends only voluntary chess in schools, and that recommendation sounds about right to me. (Although I see nothing wrong with schools providing small enticements to encourage kids to sign up for chess.)

Here in the US, there is a significant push to get chess in more schools, and I think that's a commendable goal. But what I don't like seeing is the obvious positive bias shown by the people pushing this agenda. Don't forget that the people who write glowing articles about the magical properties of educational chess (such as the chess.about.com article Rahim posted) often have vested (read: monetary) interests such as income from teaching classes or organizing scholastic tournaments.

In my opinion, a more objective information source is the previously mentioned research paper. One of the authors is Dr. Fernand Gobet, who is one of the big names in chess-related cognitive psychology. (He has previously worked with Adriaan de Groot, and he's sort of the spiritual successor to Herbert Simon's work.) In a nutshell, the paper concludes that while chess instruction in school may provide "low-level" gains (such as improvement in concentration, learning to lose, and learning that improvement comes with learning), the jury still seems to be out concerning possible "high-level" gains (such as increase in intelligence, creativity, and school performance).

Here's the links to the Gobet web page (the first link) and the PDF research paper I mentioned (the second link).

http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~hsstffg/bibliography-by-topic.html

http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~hsstffg/preprints/chess_and_education.PDF

If the subject interests you, you should be able to get through the somewhat dry material without much trouble. On the other hand, if the subject isn't that interesting to you, then the paper might be a good antidote for insomnia. ;-)
  3. Sydney
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 06:33
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    A great discussion topic! As long as you're asking for comments from the peanut gallery, here's my two cents:

While I'm not very musically inclined, I'd hate to see chess replace music in schools. But I would like to see more chess in schools - but only on a voluntary basis. A recent research paper that I read recommends only voluntary chess in schools, ...[text shortened]... hat interesting to you, then the paper might be a good antidote for insomnia. ;-)
    Thanks for that Mad Rook .. it looks like great bed time reading! 😀
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 19:26

While I'm not very musically inclined, I'd hate to see chess replace music in schools. But I would like to see more chess in schools - but only on a voluntary basis. A recent research paper that I read recommends only voluntary chess in schools, ...[text shortened]... hat interesting to you, then the paper might be a good antidote for insomnia. ;-)
    thanks, I'll check them out.

My paper has to be only 2 pages and I'm sure there will be enough information for me out there 🙂
  5. San Francisco
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 21:28
    While I'm not very musically inclined, I'd hate to see chess replace music in schools. But I would like to see more chess in schools - but only on a voluntary basis.
    I very much agree with these statements. In fact, the only reason I play chess today is because a wonderful teacher at my Jr. High School started up a chess club when I was in 8th grade. My parents had previously taught me the basics, but I never had a group of kids to frequently play and learn with and go to scholastic tournaments with.

This club alone fostered my newfound love of the game of chess and when I got into High School I was saddened to find out that there was no chess club at all. So, myself and a few of my chess playing friends approached a teacher to see if he would be interested in helping us start an 'official' chess club on campus and he agreed, though the only real members were those of us who started it up in the first place.

Today I highly doubt that there is still a chess club at my High School (I graduated in 2001.) I think just giving those kids who may have even a slight interest in the subject the opportunity to try it out for awhile is a great idea.
  6. Sydney
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 22:34

That was a great article btw. Very interesting reading.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 00:02
    So it begins. 2 days to write 2 pages on this topic.

I'm saying yes, it should be mandatory but it should not replace music, second language or anything like that.
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 04:40

That was a long read and wasn't that fun 🙁

Didn't give much answers though. Final verdict:INCONCLUSIVE

More tests need to be done 🙁
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 06:42
    I think it would improve education and raise the bar, but I don't know if MANDATORY chess education would be popular enough to happen.
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 19:30
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I think it would improve education and raise the bar, but I don't know if MANDATORY chess education would be popular enough to happen.
    You better have a read of the 28 pg document. No concrete evidence that it does either one.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 21:26
    Originally posted by RahimK
    You better have a read of the 28 pg document. No concrete evidence that it does either one.
    I didn't say it was a supported belief. That's just my impression. That's why I said "I think..." I will look at the evidence later.
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 21:431 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I didn't say it was a supported belief. That's just my impression. That's why I said "I think..." I will look at the evidence later.
    Well you "thought" wrong as did I🙂

Heheh, take it easy, just having some fun.
  13. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 21:57
    If chess was mandatory then the fun would be gone. It would be a chore.
  14. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 22:041 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Remember those days when you were a wee lad and had to take music and drama in elementary?

What if chess was a mandatory class also? How would you feel? Would you do better in school because of this(learn faster)?

I know a lot of elementary schools in my city are offering chess class at lunch or after school. It's a big thing in school now.

I've hear ...[text shortened]... music is out and chess is in and it's mandatory in some school in US.

Feedback/ thoughts?
    It's called a Chess Club. Schools have had clubs for many many years. At all levels of education.
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 22:26
    Originally posted by YEAH BOY
    It's called a Chess Club. Schools have had clubs for many many years. At all levels of education.
    If it's mandatory it's not a chess "club" anymore.

many many year? Are you kidding, are you from Russia?

Club is something you join if you want.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree