1. on your backrank!
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 16:011 edit
    anyone having experience with the Marshall Gambit in the Queen's Gambit Declined?

i'm talking about this line - 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c6 4.e4!?

know most people play the (semi) slav these days, still it would be nice to have a surprise weapon against the QGD, and it is perhaps possible to reach it from the move order 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 e6?! 4.e4!?

saw a recent master level game played in Sarajevo this year

2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 18:31
    Avrukh claims white has a small edge in the Marshall Gambit in his GM series, I would look at his suggestions closely as that will be the popular approach until something is published that shuts it down.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 21:34
    I think this variation is still considered OK for white. I'm almost sure there's not a well-worked out variation that spoils whites fun completely.

Its main disadvantage is that you don't usually see black's move order - normally he plays 3 ... Nf6. A few players try to sneak into the Dutch this way (not playing Nf6), and avoid some of the modern dutch variations where white plays g3 and Nh3, so you can cross black up if he's trying for that. Otherwise, black just about has to want to allow white to play this.
  4. e4
    Moves
    26 Jun '11 22:00
    A lad on here called Red Mike played it when he has the chance.

Here is him as White following 11 moves of the above game
    (though this was played in 2008).

He offers an interesting looking Queen sac for Rook & Knight.
    Would have been good to see what he had intended if it was taken.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree