1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    09 Sep '07 20:211 edit
    This is a position I created from a real life game which I just played in a tournament.
    In the position I demonstrate the correct move to win the game with, however in the tournament I made a slightly less correct move... Qb1?? which allows the simple Nc3+ and won my queen - the position then carried on for a while as he took more and more of my material, then my time ran out and I was just waiting for him to notice and claim it. However, he was concentrating so hard on checkmating me that he didnt look at the clock at all until, about two minutes later, I was able to claim a draw by double flagfall.

Game 4014529
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Sep '07 20:43
    You seem almost proud of your undeserved draw. Sad. I would have sportingly taken the loss.
  3. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    09 Sep '07 21:11
    I did deserve it though, since i had a totally won position for almost all of the game and he only managed a fluke swindle in time trouble - I didn feel like he deserved to win in that manner.
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '07 21:241 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 04:23
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You seem almost proud of your undeserved draw. Sad. I would have sportingly taken the loss.
    Keeping an eye on the clock is a part of a chess game.
    He deserved the draw all right.
  6. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 13:41
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I would have been interested to know what you thought about this as I am relatively inexperienced in otb games and I get the impression from the forums that you play otb quite a lot. Personally I would have shook his hand and congratulated him as my time ran out, but maybe I am too generous and should make him claim his win? It's just that I wouldn't think I deserved a draw. Last year in a league match I was playing a higher rated player in the surrey leagues and his mobile rang, I could have claimed the game but would not want to win in this way, the position was level at the time and I got a draw in the end which I was pleased with, I wouldn't feel pleased if I had won a game in such a way.
  7. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 14:07
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I would have been interested to know what you thought about this as I am relatively inexperienced in otb games and I get the impression from the forums that you play otb quite a lot. Personally I would have shook his hand and congratulated him as my time ran out, but maybe I am too generous and should make him claim his win? It's just that I wouldn't think ...[text shortened]... the end which I was pleased with, I wouldn't feel pleased if I had won a game in such a way.
    if you would need those points to accomplish some goal: some title or something, you would not make such gifts to anyone 😉
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 14:13
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I would have been interested to know what you thought about this as I am relatively inexperienced in otb games and I get the impression from the forums that you play otb quite a lot. Personally I would have shook his hand and congratulated him as my time ran out, but maybe I am too generous and should make him claim his win? It's just that I wouldn't think ...[text shortened]... the end which I was pleased with, I wouldn't feel pleased if I had won a game in such a way.
    I've played a considerable number of otb games in recent years (and watched many more), and I think I can safely say that in the vast majority of cases, a player would not call his own flag fall. I've had my flag fall maybe half a dozen times, and each time my opponent immediately noticed it, so I haven't even had to think about whether to call my own flag fall.

If my opponent didn't notice my flag fall, I'm not sure what I'd do. If I said nothing and continued playing, I'd be perfectly within the rules, and nobody could criticise my behavior. (Sort of like "tough love". Players need to be punished for their failure to manage the clock, so they'll have an incentive to learn clock management.) My decision in this case would probably depend on whether my opponent was a decent guy or a jerk. If you call your own flag fall, you give up the possible half point, but I think you gain some respect from your opponent. Whether that respect is worth a potential half point is up to you to evaluate. In any case, if you call your own flag fall, you're definitely in the extreme minority.
  9. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 14:16
    a funny story on my side...I was playing a bughouse game(chess in 4) when we were all 4 in time trouble, my flag felt, and I started to say flag flag thinking it is my opponent flag which felt...but it was mine 😀
  10. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 16:46
    Originally posted by vipiu
    if you would need those points to accomplish some goal: some title or something, you would not make such gifts to anyone 😉
    Well I am talking about graded league and tournament games so it does count for my otb rating and tournament progression, although if it was a league match I have to think about the team also. after reading the responses I have decided that I would still not claim a win for a mobile telephone going off but I would make my opponent claim the game if my flag falls. I have just remembered that our best player got a draw in a game when his flag fell, he took his opponents last pawn just before his opponent noticed his time was up and got a draw as his opponent only had a king left.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree