1. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 May '06 17:05
    Hey All,
    Can anyone tell me where I can find just the "chess theory" ideas from people such as Marshal and Steinetz? Are there books which state the theory phrase only and then show the idea by picture? Such things could be about why play a6 agiainst the Ruy Bishop when attacking the Black Knight at c6. Also more advanced theoretical ideas could be stated as well. Where are the books of
    "theory sayings?"
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 May '06 17:54
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Hey All,
    Can anyone tell me where I can find just the "chess theory" ideas from people such as Marshal and Steinetz? Are there books which state the theory phrase only and then show the idea by picture? Such things could be about why play a6 agiainst the Ruy Bishop when attacking the Black Knight at c6. Also more advanced theoretical ideas could be stated as well. Where are the books of
    "theory sayings?"
    I don't think there are books like that out there. You learn the chess theory by reading a whole bunch of books, not just one.

As for opening questions, pick up an opening book for that opening and read throught it.

A simple book is, The idea behind chess openings by Fine. He explains the idea of a6 in the Ruy Lopez and other stuff.
  3. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 May '06 18:00
    You might want to check out My System by Nimzowitsch
  4. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 May '06 19:13
    P.S. Unless I am mistaken a6 attacking the b5 white bishop in the Ruy Lopez may be something Marshal was known for or may have stated that it was not wasting time or whatever. Where are the sayings about theoretical piece movements about which Masters have spoken or written?
  5. Belfast
    Moves
    12 May '06 19:46
    P.S. Unless I am mistaken a6 attacking the b5 white bishop in the Ruy Lopez may be something Marshal was known for or may have stated that it was not wasting time or whatever. Where are the sayings about theoretical piece movements about which Masters have spoken or written?
    Chess is a complex game that cannot be dogmatically reduced to a bunch of sayings.

In answer to your question the reasoning behind 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 is that after 4.Ba4 Black retains the option of playing b5 to drive White's Bishop off the a4-e8 diagonal if he so wishes.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '06 20:08
    Check out "Weapons Of Chess" by Bruce Pandolfini.
  7. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 May '06 04:58
    Hey All,
    "theory sayings?"
    http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/General/steinitz.html
  8. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 May '06 05:452 edits
    From what Ive heard, blacks purpose in a6 Ba4 is that if the pressure or pin on the knight gets too annoying then the pawn advance b5 would take off some pressure with tempo.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree