Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 09 Jun '06 12:55
    When someone says "Mate in three", should (s)he be counting the attacker's moves, or the defenders', or both? Just curious.
  2. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    09 Jun '06 13:05
    Originally posted by Davross
    When someone says "Mate in three", should (s)he be counting the attacker's moves, or the defenders', or both? Just curious.
    Just the attackers.
  3. 09 Jun '06 13:06
    => mate in three for white means that he will checkmate in "his next 3 moves" ...
  4. 09 Jun '06 14:26
    mate in 3 - is about 5 ply
    ........in 4 - is 7 ply

And so on.

(N = x2 -1)

thats how I work it out, by ply
  5. 09 Jun '06 14:52
    How prompt and courteous. Many thanks to you all!
  6. 09 Jun '06 18:18
    courteous
    Knobhead.
  7. 09 Jun '06 18:33
    Chess moves almost always imply a move for white and a move for black.See how a game is numbered.So in a mate in three there are 3 moves for the attacker and 2 moves for the defender.
  8. Standard member Derfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    10 Jun '06 09:15
    When someone announces mate in three, this is the only time I'll play to checkmate. I always tend to wonder if they have calculated every single possible reply I could make.
  9. 10 Jun '06 13:31
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    When someone announces mate in three, this is the only time I'll play to checkmate. I always tend to wonder if they have calculated every single possible reply I could make.
    "mate in 3's" tend to consist of forced moves.

So, your 'replies' will only ever be a choice of 1, or 2 moves.