1. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    01 Dec '10 22:56
    I've just finished game Game 7920485 in which my opponent resigned in order to cruelly deprive me of the opportunity to deliver a rare mate-out-of-check. Has anyone actually pulled off one of these aesthetic beauties?

The forced variation is:
    ... Kf3
    Rf1 Bf2+
    Qxf2 mate.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '10 23:15
    Originally posted by hunterknox
    I've just finished game Game 7920485 in which my opponent resigned in order to cruelly deprive me of the opportunity to deliver a rare mate-out-of-check. Has anyone actually pulled off one of these aesthetic beauties?
    Not me. Nice ending.

But I have to say, unless he knew of your desires, he's in a no-win situation. If he played to mate, he risked having you scream, "Why didn't he resign at a reasonable point, he didn't need to drag the game out to the bitter end! It's clear that mate was inevitable." 🙂
  3. e4
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 00:271 edit
    I have a few OTB. Always pleasing.

On here there have been quite a few.

Here are two.

Llewellyn - xt4jc RHP 2005

blackjack21 -Flying Dwarf RHP 2005

4. e4
    Moves
    06 Dec '10 04:05
    Thank You Hunter Knox. Another thread that fed a blog.

Blog 4
  5. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    08 Dec '10 18:38
    Originally posted by hunterknox
    [bI Has anyone actually pulled off one of these aesthetic beauties?[/b]
    I never have, but back in the day Starsky did:

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com/2010/12/im-liable-to-jump-all-over-your-pony.html
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Dec '10 18:55
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Not me. Nice ending.

But I have to say, unless he knew of your desires, he's in a no-win situation. If he played to mate, he risked having you scream, "Why didn't he resign at a reasonable point, he didn't need to drag the game out to the bitter end! It's clear that mate was inevitable." 🙂
    Rec'd. I've read posts on the forum complaining both ways (I don't see this thread as a complaint, I should say), and my conclusion is that it should only matter to:

1) Non-subscribers who are maxed out at 6 games, and can't start a new one until one of their current games concludes; or

2) Artists and other aesthetically-minded players (more than the normal chess player's naturally aesthetic inclinations) who want the picture to be completed before it is unveiled.
  7. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 23:09
    Woo hoo! I've joined the club:

Game 8071358
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 00:24
    usually it's called a spite check. and playing it instead of resigning in anything but blitz, is considered a bit of a douchebaggery really.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree