1. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 11:43
    Originally posted by Mahout
    My thoughts exactly re the Silman book...had a quick look over my ICC account but can't find the KNB bot on (I'm using a Jin interface from my Mac)...any suggestions how I might find it?
    By using the command 'play KBNK'
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 11:53
    My thoughts exactly re the Silman book...had a quick look over my ICC account but can't find the KNB bot on (I'm using a Jin interface from my Mac)...any suggestions how I might find it?
    you can see it in the seek graph when the bot is available (like now). it's 2200 rated with a 3 7 timecontrol (meaning that's the seek's location in the graph). there are also KRkn bot, KQkn bot and KQkr bot and many others. they all have seeks posted so you'll see them in the graph as unrated computer seeks, however jin displays those.
  3. London
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 12:09
    Originally posted by wormwood
    you can see it in the seek graph when the bot is available (like now). it's 2200 rated with a 3 7 timecontrol (meaning that's the seek's location in the graph). there are also KRkn bot, KQkn bot and KQkr bot and many others. they all have seeks posted so you'll see them in the graph as unrated computer seeks, however jin displays those.
    Nice...just got two draws..going to have to book up again!! hehe
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 13:56
    There's loads of chess demonstration videos on YouTube nowadays.

YouTube
  5. London
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 22:17
    Lovin the ICC bot - shame about the takebacks:

[1339] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 6 moves.
    [1339] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 5 moves.
    [1339] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 21 moves.
    Sending takeback 2 request.
    Game 1339: taking back 2.
    [1339] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 6 moves.
    [1339] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 5 moves.
    [1339] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 4 moves.
    [1339] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 3 moves.
    [1339] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 2 moves.
    [1339] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 1 move.
    {Game 1339 (Mahout vs. KBNk) KBNk checkmated} 1-0
    Game was not rated. No rating adjustment.
  6. Standard memberNAGYUR
    NagyUr
    New York
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 00:01
    Originally posted by Drew L
    Mate with K + B + N vs. K

is it possible

Thanks
    Drew
    Yes, The N + B can mate; can take 30 moves to force mate. See endings Seirawan's book
  7. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 00:27
    heres one I played

Game 3719339
  8. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 04:40
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    heres one I played

Game 3719339
    Yes this position I have never seen in an actual game bacause your opponent mated himself, I say this because if he knew something about this mate he would have gone to the corner with the opposite color of your bishop, and from there you have to force it, wich can be done in a minimun of 30moves if I dont make a mistake.
  9. London
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 14:50
    Thanks for the ICC bot tip...I reckon today with the KNBk bot training and a bit of booking up in Seirawans book (and the youtube vid) I've finally mastered it...and scoring with it blitzing!!...all I need is to get this ending in a deciding match - for the season for the team - in an OTB tournament with 3 mins on the clock...

My ICC goal now, is to get a perfect countdown from when the bot tells you there's a mate in 20!!!

[1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 12 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 11 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 10 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 9 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 8 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 7 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 7 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 6 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 5 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 4 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 3 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 2 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 1 move.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 15:211 edit
    Thanks for the ICC bot tip...I reckon today with the KNBk bot training and a bit of booking up in Seirawans book (and the youtube vid) I've finally mastered it...and scoring with it blitzing!!...all I need is to get this ending in a deciding match - for the season for the team - in an OTB tournament with 3 mins on the clock...

My ICC goal now, is to get Nk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 2 moves.
    [1454] KBNk(C) kibitzes: White can mate in 1 move.
    the early optimal solutions are very hard to find, as they take shortcuts 'accross the board' if you know what I mean. -I simply drive the defender into the wrong colored corner, shuffle my pieces into a 'standard starting position', adjust with one tempo move if the defender is on the 'wrong' square, and switch my brain off. there's only a few variations after that, and I can blitz all of them through completely without thinking. (actually, I have to think a lot more when mating with Q vs K or R vs K! 😀) it's not the optimal solution, but it's methodical and 'stable', which makes it very very fast.
  11. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 15:38
    the early optimal solutions are very hard to find, as they take shortcuts 'accross the board' if you know what I mean. -I simply drive the defender into the wrong colored corner, shuffle my pieces into a 'standard starting position', adjust with one tempo move if the defender is on the 'wrong' square, and switch my brain off. there's only a few varia ...[text shortened]... he optimal solution, but it's methodical and 'stable', which makes it very very fast.
    I think everyone does it that way.Why bother finding the fastest way?When you can say 'checkmate' within 50 moves you've reached your goal 🙂
  12. London
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 15:59
    the early optimal solutions are very hard to find, as they take shortcuts 'accross the board' if you know what I mean. -I simply drive the defender into the wrong colored corner, shuffle my pieces into a 'standard starting position', adjust with one tempo move if the defender is on the 'wrong' square, and switch my brain off. there's only a few varia ...[text shortened]... he optimal solution, but it's methodical and 'stable', which makes it very very fast.
    So you mean that a mate in 21 may be a route via squeezing someone to the edge "without" using the routine via the wrong corner first method...and would have to be worked out anew and so be v hard to calculate at the board.

Anyway it's by far the most satisfying training exercise I've come across...learning it gave me one of those curiously simple but deep and meaning full insights where I stopped looking at the squares the knight and bishop were on and starting looking at the squares they control.

The other useful tip I found was to know the knight and bishop are on the same colour square when they form a wall...as in the light squared bishop combining with a knight on a light square controlling the dark squares....all good stuff

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree