1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 00:26
    This will usually be drawn although there are some circumstances where the stronger side can win.

Initially the K must be forced to the edge of the board.

If this can be done there are a few circumstances where the stronger side can win.

Firstly lets take this position

Whites position is impossible to improve and the game is drawn.

For example
    1. ... Bg8;
    2. Re8 stalemate; so try
    2. Rf5 .. Be6;
    3. Rf8+ .. Bg8
    and white can make no progress
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 00:33
    Now lets look at this position

After 1. ... Be3;
    2. Rd8+ .. Bc8;
    3. Re8 .. Ka8;
    4. RXB++

So the moral is clear. The defending side wants to go to the corner not controlled by the B if he is forced to the edge of the board. if the B has freedom it is virtually impossible to force the winning type of position. My next post will give ann example of when the R can win
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 00:44
    OK now lets look at this position.

White will always win this type of position irrespective of where the B might be but the black K must not cross the KB file as it will then be able to head towards the safe corner where mate cannot be forced.

So 1. ... Bg1;
    A double attack by the Rook threatening mate and the B must be avoided and this is the only square to do that eg if 1. ... B b2; 2. Rb7 .. Be5; 3. Re7 wins
    2. Rf1 .. Bh2;
    3. Rf2 .. Bg3;
    4. Rg2 .. Bd6;
    5. Rd2 .. Be7;
    6. Ra2 winning.

Whilst a few other winning positions exist these are exceptions and unless the stronger side is able to exchange off into the favorable sort of position given in these example the game is likely to be drawn.
  4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 01:074 edits
    How does the bishop get from g1 to e5?

Edit: sorry...looking at the wrong move

Thanks for explaining this...
  5. washington
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 22:11
    i just read a chapter on this last night. basically you want to pin the king down and get him to the corner that is the same color of his bishop like dragonfire said. then you have to create double threats with your rook say your kings are lined up and you move and attack the bishop and threaten mate then the game is lost or sometimes he will move it in front of his king only to get pinned after the next move sorry i dont know how to put up a board position like that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree