Wales
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 14:07
    Ok thanks mate thought he was an IM....Thanks nordy
  2. The sky
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 14:14
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    ... the ICCF where engine use is monitered extremely well....
    "If you feel strongly against computer engine use in correspondence chess games, you should consider that both ICCF and IECG have no rules in place which prohibit engine use. This is the practical approach as there is no way to detect such use anyway." (from http://www.correspondencechess.com/syndication/articles/0025.htm )
    I also looked at the ICCF homepage and couldn't find anything about engine use at all.
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 14:20
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    "If you feel strongly against computer engine use in correspondence chess games, you should consider that both ICCF and IECG have no rules in place which prohibit engine use. This is the practical approach as there is no way to detect such use anyway."
    Wouldn't that suggest that mod's methods on RHP of detecting cheaters (especially when they are so secret) a little dubious?
  4. The sky
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 14:281 edit
    Originally posted by lausey
    Wouldn't that suggest that mod's methods on RHP of detecting cheaters (especially when they are so secret) a little dubious?
    If "there is no way to detect such use anyway" is correct, I guess so. However, I believe that you can detect some blatant cheating. More subtle cheating is probably impossible to detect, though.
  5. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 14:47
    I didnt know that, Maybe it goes without saying then, he's not an engine though, because he let's me know certain lines he playing and why.....so he's very smart and not engine smart
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 21:21
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    If "there is no way to detect such use anyway" is correct, I guess so. However, I believe that you can detect some blatant cheating. More subtle cheating is probably impossible to detect, though.
    Because engines play the same thing given X amount of time against a given position, the mods can find a match between moves made by such an engine when they match the exact configuration of engine and # of CPU's used. They caught IM because his moves matched almost exactly the moves generated by a multi-cpu (4 I think)
    comp and a specific program, shredder maybe. Its a long involved process because there are so many progs and cpu speeds out there and multi cpus. They have to try the games out on each configuration which can take months.
  7. Standard membermosquitorespect
    Not Royalty
    Not in a palace
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 23:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Because engines play the same thing given X amount of time against a given position, the mods can find a match between moves made by such an engine when they match the exact configuration of engine and # of CPU's used. They caught IM because his moves matched almost exactly the moves generated by a multi-cpu (4 I think)
    comp and a specific program, shredd ...[text shortened]... ere and multi cpus. They have to try the games out on each configuration which can take months.
    My moves are all made for me by a Sinclair ZX1000.
  8. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    08 Apr '06 00:59
    Originally posted by lausey
    He has also played a couple of games (drawn one and won by timeout of the other) against Jean Hebert who is a high profile IM.

I am sure that if Jean suspected him of engine use (which an IM or GM can spot quite easily), he would report to the relevant mods.

I suspect Weyerstrass is also an IM.
    I dont know if thats necessarly true, Weyerstrass said he didnt notice anything wrong with his games with Ironman when they played
  9. London
    Moves
    08 Apr '06 01:25
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    I didnt know that, Maybe it goes without saying then, he's not an engine though, because he let's me know certain lines he playing and why.....so he's very smart and not engine smart
    Ironman often posted deep analysis on his games in the forums and showed a huge knowledge of chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree