1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jul '09 06:11
    Memorable Advice

E.M. Reubens, Russian born mentor during the decade of my twenties, frequently reminded me of the facts... that the constantly changing position on a chessboard is extraordinarily fragile; that it's utterly foolhardy to presume to launch "lightfoot attacks" in the opening; that it's equally unwise to attempt to press the attack on every subsequent mid/endgame move; and that to play well I must learn to content myself with making low key luft moves, along with (what he viewed as the heart and soul of sound strategy) "high class waiting moves".

Advice you've received?
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jul '09 06:12
    Postscript: 'Luft' = German for 'air', as I remember... i.e., retreat corridors, avenues of escape, etc.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jul '09 07:00
    Footnote: Please google... Boylston Chess Club/Reubens, then click weblog U2200 BCC Championship (at the top of the page). Think you may enjoy the biographical articles by Bernardo Iglesias on E.M. Reubens and Ben Landey. From Benjamin M. Landey. handwritten, September 1, 1973 "Dear Bob, I have the sad task of of writing to all of E.M.'s correspondents and friends that E.M. passed away Wednesday, Aug 29th-- one month short of his 87th Birthday. We have all lost a friend-- I, a brother. -Ben"
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    22 Jul '09 14:54
    The best piece of advice I ever received was:
    -- "Analyse, evaluate, shut up and calculate"
    😵
  5. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    22 Jul '09 15:38
    >When you see a good move, stop and look for an even better one.
    >Advice I give to young kids who have a very strong position in the endgame and screw up a basic mate, ending up with a stalemate instead: If it's not 'check,' stop and think it through some more.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 18:412 edits
    >Advice I give to young kids who have a very strong position in the endgame and screw up a basic mate, ending up with a stalemate instead: If it's not 'check,' stop and think it through some more. -AttilaTheHorn

My son began learning chess at age two. Mixed the Staunton lead weighted wooden pieces in with his army soldiers, then taught him

the colors, shapes, names, moves, rules. Eric won his first tournament in 1st grade going up against 4th-6th graders in the finals.
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 11:25
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    >Advice I give to young kids who have a very strong position in the endgame and screw up a basic mate, ending up with a stalemate instead: If it's not 'check,' stop and think it through some more. -AttilaTheHorn

My son began learning chess at age two. Mixe ...[text shortened]... s. Eric won his first tournament in 1st grade going up against 4th-6th graders in the finals.
    Then you are a rich man GB
    😵
  8. The Smoke
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 11:331 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Memorable Advice

Advice you've received?
    "Don't touch your pawns" from RHP's own Mr Greenpawn34 😉
  9. Standard memberchessicle
    The Chessicle
    Scotland?
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 11:46
    Begin by getting your bits out. (ie in the opening, develop your pieces)

Pin to win!

In the endgame, play for mate as well as promotion .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree