1. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 21:57
    Flashcards are a waste of time!
  2. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 15:06
    I have a garage full of flashcards, just on the Ruy Lopez Breyer Line alone!

Seriously, flashcards can be a valuable asset to learning vocabulary or some kind of specific fact, but, again, i don't think they would be useful on openings.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 15:54
    Originally posted by buddy2
    I have a garage full of flashcards, just on the Ruy Lopez Breyer Line alone!

Seriously, flashcards can be a valuable asset to learning vocabulary or some kind of specific fact, but, again, i don't think they would be useful on openings.
    Vocabulary I can see they'd be useful for, and in some other subjects used wisely. The general problem with these systems is that they encourage people to think that they're universally useful - like any tool you can't use them to do everything - a hammer is no good if what you have is a screw.

I think with openings it's hopeless - if you have some sort of system where you have a printout of a position and what "the right move" is on the back of the card then a) you'd need millions of the things 1 garage just wouldn't be enough (that made me laugh - have a rec.), and b) you could fall for the trap of thinking that because your opponent has made some move which isn't on one of your cards then it must be bad - at least that strikes me as the danger. Also there's the same problem as with databases in correspondence chess, you get to the end of the line and find yourself in a position you don't understand.
  4. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 16:23
    Point is I don't think any Grandmasters use flashcards to memeorize things, it's just childish. If they don't do it why should we?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree