1. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:07
    I just had this idea. I usually memorize my lessons with flashcards, so why not implement it to chess openings too? I have trouble how to do this though. Any ideas?
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:081 edit
    Originally posted by anthias
    I just had this idea. I usually memorize my lessons with flashcards, so why not implement it to chess openings too? I have trouble how to do this though. Any ideas?
    so what would you be doing next then? naming the opening and then the devopment goal of each side or something??
  3. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:11
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    so what would you be doing next then? naming the opening and then the devopment goal of each side or something??
    Ideas are easy to grasp, I do that by studying books and looking at database games. The hard part is memorizing lines.

Flashcards are great for me. I once memorized a whole book thanks to them. It fits my way of learning.
  4. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:161 edit
    for someone who is almost 1700 you ask alot of beginner questions....

i look at yer record....pretty fast climb.....hmmmm interesting...

300 rating point increase in 2 months........hmmmmm
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:18
    before this turns into a conspiracy thread heres a flashcard for ya!!

6. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:21
    nf3!!
  7. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:22
    That's a Petroff. However my goal is not to recognize openings but create a special card set for my opening repertoire, which I am working hard to create right now (loads of tourneys coming up next month). FYI I am studying the QGA and open games as black.
  8. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:241 edit
    That's a Petroff. However my goal is not to recognize openings but create a special card set for my opening repertoire, which I am working hard to create right now (loads of tourneys coming up next month). FYI I am studying the QGA and open games as black.
    cool, are you printing them off here?
  9. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 22:25
    The approach itself is debatable, but putting that aside, did you consider using software such as Bookup or Chess Position Trainer (both have free versions which are usable for this purpose)?
  10. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 23:25
    Would you put one move on a flash card or a series of moves? I don't see much point to it, compared to software by fritz, bookup, etc, that give a series of lines. I have a few cards with positions in diagrams with solutions on back, sort of like tactical shots in various books. Positions i can see, but openings, i don't think it'll work well.
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 20:21
    Someone got the idea of combining chess opening flash cards with a deck of playing cards.

http://uscfsales.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=2055
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 22:18
    Sorry, what is a flash card? Call me old fashioned, but the way I memorize lines of play is to understand the point of what each side is trying to do and what the various threats and so on are in the position and then I find I have no difficulty remembering the details - if I can't remember the details it means I haven't understood the position properly.

Gimmicks like flash cards are probably counterproductive - you end up learning a load of facts without actually understanding what you think you know. If flash cards are what I imagine them to be then they were probably invented by someone trying to build a career - you need to be careful of these people, they cause all sorts of problems.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 21:23
    I used to do this. The problem is that as you get deeper into the opening the possible variations become so numerous that you can't have enough flash cards.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 21:24
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Sorry, what is a flash card? Call me old fashioned, but the way I memorize lines of play is to understand the point of what each side is trying to do and what the various threats and so on are in the position and then I find I have no difficulty remembering the details - if I can't remember the details it means I haven't understood the position properly ...[text shortened]... to build a career - you need to be careful of these people, they cause all sorts of problems.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashcard
  15. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 21:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I used to do this. The problem is that as you get deeper into the opening the possible variations become so numerous that you can't have enough flash cards.
    I have a stock of about 25000 flashcards ready 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree