Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 21 Apr '10 20:15
    Somebody told me that the best 50 chess players in the world are all men. My girlfriend would like to learn chess but thinks it is cruel and aggressive. Maybe chess is linked to testosterone. If it is, i aint got much testosterone!. Any girls dissagree?
  2. 21 Apr '10 20:17
    *facepalms* Not again!

    *screams and runs from the keyboard*
  3. 21 Apr '10 20:17
    Originally posted by Badwater
    *facepalms* Not again!

    *screams like a girl and runs from the keyboard*
    Fix'd
  4. 21 Apr '10 20:44
    If women (as a group) were as good at chess as men , then there wouldn't be a need to have special titles for women (e.g. Women's International Master (WIM)).

    Having said that, it's possible that twenty years from now, many women will be on the "Top 50" list.
  5. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    21 Apr '10 21:41
    Originally posted by bellalucca
    Somebody told me that the best 50 chess players in the world are all men. My girlfriend would like to learn chess but thinks it is cruel and aggressive. Maybe chess is linked to testosterone. If it is, i aint got much testosterone!. Any girls dissagree?
    Teach her the English opening. She'll be happily winning a pawn or two on the Queenside in no time. Truly, this is chess for bitches.
  6. Standard member Mariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyó!
    21 Apr '10 22:12
    Ye ye dream on.

    -MA
  7. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    21 Apr '10 22:19
    Originally posted by Mariska Angela
    Ye ye dream on.

    -MA
    The stats don't lie.

    As of March 2010, Judit Polgar is the highest ranked female player in the world, and is ranked 51 on the list of the top 100 players by FIDE rating.

    As someone has already mentioned, if women were as good, they wouldn't need special titles just for them.
  8. Standard member EveRyDay
    my pimp hand's strng
    21 Apr '10 22:21 / 1 edit
    Yea and if women were treated equal (in general) in the little more than a hundred year of 'real' modern chess they wouldn't need the word emancipation or women rights either.

    Same as the question. How many black grandmasters do you see? My grandfather could count on one hand and he's a carpenter.
  9. Standard member Mariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyó!
    21 Apr '10 22:28
    Originally posted by EveRyDay
    Yea and if women were treated equal (in general) in the little more than a hundred year of 'real' modern chess they wouldn't need the word emancipation or women rights either.

    Same as the question. How many black grandmasters do you see? My grandfather could count on one hand and he's a carpenter.
    Was it that guy coming over to my home to fix the door knob your granddad😲, and I always wondered how you guys looked much alike 😉

    -MA
  10. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    22 Apr '10 00:19
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    The stats don't lie.

    As of March 2010, Judit Polgar is the highest ranked female player in the world, and is ranked 51 on the list of the top 100 players by FIDE rating.

    As someone has already mentioned, if women were as good, they wouldn't need special titles just for them.
    And here at Red Hot Pawn the player with the most public tournament wins (77) is female.
    Stats don't lie.
  11. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    22 Apr '10 00:36
    It's true, here on RHP the strongest, (or at least most effective in winning touraments) player may well be a woman.

    In the real world however...
  12. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    22 Apr '10 01:00
    Judit Polgar was 10th on the fide list for awhile and at one point was the youngest Grandmaster in history. The percentage of men who play chess to women at the tournament level is so skewed that it would be highly unlikely that a women would be in the top 200 by sheer numbers.
  13. 22 Apr '10 01:41
    Men are on average smarter than women though. IQ tests and SAT scores prove it.
  14. Standard member peacedog
    Highlander
    22 Apr '10 03:35 / 2 edits
    It's all about the numbers.

    Go to an OTB tourn and what do you see? 50 males for every female would be my guess. So for every 1 Judith Polgar, there should be 50 guys at least as good.

    Same thing with countries. In the 20th century everyman and his dog played chess in Russia. So most of the best players came from there. This century will see China and India becoming like this because of sheer weight of numbers. Does this show that the people of Russia were smarter than the rest of the world? No. Will China and India have the smartest in the future? No.

    It's all about the numbers.

    Edit1: Switched USSR for Russia as I said countries:-(
    Edit2: 🙄
  15. Standard member peacedog
    Highlander
    22 Apr '10 03:43
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    Men are on average smarter than women though. IQ tests and SAT scores prove it.
    Oh no! Not IQ tests again!!!

    The simple fact that you can practice doing and become better at the tests makes them almost useless for measuring anything.

    As I've said before, IQ tests are only good for finding out how good you are at IQ tests:-)