men are better at chess than women

men are better at chess than women

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
13 May 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Maxacre42
Here is one of the most valid studies on the variance between the sexes, in short, like he said, more male geniuses and more male idiots. In the top 2%, twice as many males as females, even though the average intelligence is similar. (slight advantage to male)

Deary, I.J., Irwing, P., Der, G., & Bates, T.C. (2007). "Brother–sister differences in the g f subjectpool.com/ed_papers/2007/Deary2007Intelligence451-456_Brother_sister_sex_differences.pdf
Is this difference biological or social? Is the answer obvious, according to the studies?

ml

out on bail

Moves
13 May 10

We have 20 members in my chess club, only one female.

She is our current club champion

DB
The Silver Hammer

Moves
16 May 10

Originally posted by bellalucca
Somebody told me that the best 50 chess players in the world are all men. My girlfriend would like to learn chess but thinks it is cruel and aggressive. Maybe chess is linked to testosterone. If it is, i aint got much testosterone!. Any girls dissagree?
How many threads have been created to address this topic?

M

Moves
17 May 10

Originally posted by Der Bayer
How many threads have been created to address this topic?
Many and this one is the best! 🙂

M

Moves
19 May 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
"Even if women and men, on average, were of equal intelligence"
You mean we're not? Do you think men are intelligenter, or women?

"it's pretty well established that the bell curve for male intelligence spreads wider"
Give me some source for this scientific established fact. Do you really mean that women are more homogenous than men?

"Chess is a br ...[text shortened]... en may compete as true equals."
I agree to this, but do you really believe it yourself?
#1) It's virtually impossible for men and women to be of equal intelligence on average. Take any population P with a normally distributed average intelligence of N. Make ANY division at arbitrary to divide the population. The odds that both divisions will have the same average intelligence is essentially zero.

My opinions on whether men are more intelligent on average than women are not germane to the discussion.

#2) Sources notwithstanding (though I appreciate the one that was provided), do you really not notice how men are the vast majority of the bottom and top tiers of society? What proportion of Fortune 500 CEOs are men, and what proportion of homeless are men?

#3) I believe it myself. Many women don't, as if women universally did, there would be no WM and WGM titles and no women's championship. Women don't want equal treatment because segregation is better for them. Same in poker, or any game or sport where women could easily be equals.

F

Moves
20 May 10

Originally posted by Morphyesque
#1) It's virtually impossible for men and women to be of equal intelligence on average. Take any population P with a normally distributed average intelligence of N. Make ANY division at arbitrary to divide the population. The odds that both divisions will have the same average intelligence is essentially zero.

My opinions on whether men are more in ...[text shortened]... is better for them. Same in poker, or any game or sport where women could easily be equals.
Every discussion about intelligence should be done *after* the definition of 'intelligence' is written down. Just so we know what we're talking about. do we use the same definition? Do we discuss the same thing?

To compare the number of World champions among men and women to conclude chess ability is silly. As silly as: Who plays better chess, left-handed players or right-handed players? Answer: Right-handed, because there as so few left-handed world champions through history. Silly, isn't it? And you know why. Would you like me to give you the answer?

Two persons are given an IQ-test. Test person A made as good as he could and got 90 points. Test person B didn't care, and left the test, and got 0 points. Who is more intelligent, A or B? Answer: We don't know.
Same with chess. They (in a higher degree than men) don't care. They have better things to do. So they (as a group) down-prioritize chess.

I'm a man, therefore I would like to believe that men are better. In this case, intelligenter, better in chess, for short: better. When I think a few steps further I have to conclude that there is no way to know. Why not drop this silly question alltogether.

Moves
20 May 10

Women have better things to do.

There nails...

L

Moves
26 May 10

Freely acknowledging the women who are strong players, this quote from Nietzsche might shed some light:

"Where there is neither love nor hate in the game, woman's play is mediocre."
--Beyond Good and Evil