1. e4
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 16:263 edits
    I've seen better Black openings but who am I to question a genius.

Like halfway through the battle Mickey sets up a bog standard Queen
    and Bishop mating battery.

From this. (move 28)

to this (move 32)

I think Mickey's been reading the blog. ๐Ÿ˜‰

M.Adams - M.Carlsen Chess Olmpiad 2010

2. gumtree
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 17:571 edit
    That should serve as a warning to the young whippersnapper not to underestimate the old(er) guys. Mickey may have been reading the blog but it looks like Magnus has been looking at the games of Duncan Suttles without understanding what Suttles was up to.
  3. Joined
    01 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 19:07
    ...carlson maybe the worlds number 1 but This goes to show he can not play any old rubbish against the worlds Best...A good win by a very nice bloke well done Mickey!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 20:06
    Originally posted by PAWN RIOT
    ...carlson maybe the worlds number 1 but This goes to show he can not play any old rubbish against the worlds Best...A good win by a very nice bloke well done Mickey!
    For awhile there, I wasn't sure which Mickey we were talking about๐Ÿ™‚ Mickey Mouse, Mickey Rourke....But I was Pretty sure Mickey Mouse didn't play chess๐Ÿ™‚
  5. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 20:41
    What did mickey have in mind if 36....Nh5 hitting the white Q and also the Rook?
  6. gumtree
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 21:09
    Originally posted by greenerpawn
    What did mickey have in mind if 36....Nh5 hitting the white Q and also the Rook?
    37. Qf3 Rxg6 38. Bxf5 looks plausible.
  7. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 21:27
    mag played like a patzer he starting to think hes unbeatable a few losses is what he needs
  8. e4
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 00:33
    He must have had some kind of game plan in mind.

Maybe Mickey has faced this before and Magnus had something up his sleeve.

Or perhaps like all creative intutive players when the juices don't flow
    they lose very badly.
    Tal and Larsen have some grim games on their C.V's.

You do not suddenly become a bad player from one game and Mickey
    had to play well to knock him over. Just a bad day. It happens.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 02:24
    the olympiad games are not rated are they? there's been quite a few weird looking games there, like naka almost steamrolling kramnik, with black no less. perhaps they're not taking the games that seriously, but more like having a bit of fun hanging out with the guys and winging it a bit? even leko of all people is looking a bit wild there. I don't really know catalan, but his win against grischuk looked a bit wild to me? this one:

10. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 08:54
    they are rated
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 12:34
    Don't mess with Michael Adams! He's beaten all the Worlds elite in his time, not the kind of player you're going to catch out with a questionable opening. What's more, the chances Michael hasn't seen this opening considering Tony Miles has played it is very slim! Adams would have prepared for Miles a few times considering they've met for the British championships before.

Carlsen is usually so sound out of the opening, what's he playing at?? I can understand him wanting to avoid using his best weapons in an Olympiad with the Candidates tournament coming up (I feel for his opponents in their preparation, i think Carlsen must be a nightmare to prepare for, given he rarely seems to play anything twice!) but he could have simply prepared something like the pirc, or a Hedgehog defence for this tournament and reverted to his more favoured Nimzo when the Candidates starts...? They might not be considered the 'best' defences but with his class you'd expect him to play them perfectly. This sort of line is frankly beneath him.
  12. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 12:45
    It is no coincidence that dodgy line is called the Norwegian opening, he just paid tribute to his country by losing in a ridiculous opening.

Now all we can do is hope that Shirov plays the Latvian gambit, he has played the spanish for too long, time to go back to your roots ๐Ÿ˜›
  13. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 12:45
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    He must have had some kind of game plan in mind.

Maybe Mickey has faced this before and Magnus had something up his sleeve.

Or perhaps like all creative intutive players when the juices don't flow
    they lose very badly.
    Tal and Larsen have some grim games on their C.V's.

You do not suddenly become a bad player from one game and Mickey
    had to play well to knock him over. Just a bad day. It happens.
    i suspect he expected adams to accept on h5 and prepared for that.

does magnus enjoy picking openings that are aptly named? he went for the english against howell last year. north sea vs adams...
  14. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 12:51
    Magnus is trying to win games without showing too much of his actual repertoire. I think he found out the hard way that you can't play any old bunk against a positional player like GM Adams.
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 13:451 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I've seen better Black openings but who am I to question a genius.

Like halfway through the battle Mickey sets up a bog standard Queen
    and Bishop mating battery.

From this. (move 28)

[fen]r2q2r1/1pp2pnk/p2p1b1p/3P4/2P1NP2/1P5P/P3Q1BK/5RR1 w - - 0 28[/fen]

to this (move 32)

[fen]r2q2rk/2p2pn1/p2p3p/3P4/2P1NP1b/3Q3P/P1B4K/5RR1 b - - 0 32[/ . Qg5+ Kh7 40. Qh4+ Nh5 41. Bxh5 Qe7 42. Bg6+ Kg7 43. Bxe8+ Kf8 44. Rxg8+ Kxg8 45. Qxe7[/pgn]
    No my line is rubbish, ignore!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree