1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 13:39
    Some time ago I bought a little chess booklet second-hand (or more). It was Mieses' Schachmeisterpartien IV, published back in the last years before World War I. It was fascinating enough for me to transcribe it to a combination of PGN and text, and now I've decided that it's so unlikely to be still around in other forms, except in the back cupboard of other second-hand bookshops and chess nutters, that these files should be shared with the world.
    There are three versions: one for people who only read English, one for people who prefer German, and one (the original) for people who can handle both. Plus two scans. They can all be found at < http://www.xs4all.nl/~rlbos/chess/index.en.html >. I hope someone else is as intrigued by them as I was.

Richard
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 15:06
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Some time ago I bought a little chess booklet second-hand (or more). It was Mieses' Schachmeisterpartien IV, published back in the last years before World War I. It was fascinating enough for me to transcribe it to a combination of PGN and text, and now I've decided that it's so unlikely to be still around in other forms, except in the back cupboard of ...[text shortened]... rlbos/chess/index.en.html >. I hope someone else is as intrigued by them as I was.

Richard
    the typeset in the little booklet is extraordinarily beautiful, have not played through the pgns but will do, many thanks - robbie 🙂
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 16:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the typeset in the little booklet is extraordinarily beautiful, have not played through the pgns but will do, many thanks - robbie 🙂
    Yes, pretty, isn't it? Unfortunately the paper wasn't much good, but that was common in those days, for most books. And I like the diagrams - I'd like to find a font file that has that style figurines in it.

Richard
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 21:04
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Yes, pretty, isn't it? Unfortunately the paper wasn't much good, but that was common in those days, for most books. And I like the diagrams - I'd like to find a font file that has that style figurines in it.

Richard
    the annotations are excellent, i really like the way he compares the different styles of different players, look at the second game, an Italian game in which white offers to exchange bishops on e3 after which his pawns are double but he gets control of d4 and the half open f file in compensation. Jeremy Silman suggests this in his chess mentor series and i always wondered where the idea originated from, Mieses says that Steintz thought it a weakness but others did not, i love chess books like this, you have made my day my friend, see you in about three days after i pour over these, hopefully i can glean some pompous German remarks as well with which to smite greenpawn with! Also my friend who is German states that it is difficult even for him to read because the old German as some difference in letters occur, he states that especially the 's' is written like a 'f' and if reading like an 'f' its sounds like lisping, but i dont care, its weally weally awesome!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree