1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 02:54
    Always loved the way he played, a few years ago I read his autobiography and I have to say that it ranks at the top of my list of chess books if both entertainment and instruction are taken into account. I don't think anybody could argue that there has ever been a player with better ability to utilize positional sacrifices than him, as evidenced with this impressive game:

2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 03:28
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Always loved the way he played, a few years ago I read his autobiography and I have to say that it ranks at the top of my list of chess books if both entertainment and instruction are taken into account. I don't think anybody could argue that there has ever been a player with better ability to utilize positional sacrifices than him, as evidenced with this ...[text shortened]... d2 Qb4+ 33.c3 Qd6
    34.Bc5 Qxc5 35.Re8+ Rf8 36.Qe6+ Kh8 37.Qf7 1-0[/pgn]
    Nevermind all that rubbish... i'll be in the blitz room.

Impressive game though.
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 05:56
    Welcome back CMS!
  4. bedlam
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 21:54
    I read his 'life and games',it's excellent.Great player.

But instructive?No,not to me.Too baffling-jaw dropping-confusing-over my head-etc...
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 23:50
    Originally posted by torten

But instructive?No,not to me.Too baffling-jaw dropping-confusing-over my head-etc...
    His life and games and also his 1960 match notes are great reads.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 04:00
    Originally posted by torten

The main lesson I learn from his games is: Don't rule out anything.

Very often, his moves were beautiful because we either would not consider them ourselves, or we would reject them outright, but his imagination saw possibilities where others saw dogma.
  7. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 19:19
    yes, amazing game. and way above my horizont of playing...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree